Help ! I switched my cakes to different containers

Started by hauntedgraffiti, January 10, 2010, 11:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hauntedgraffiti

I prepared my mushroom jars about 3 weeks ago, and so far mycelium growth has been good.

I had used my roommate's glass cups (he's a strange guy), and yesterday he got extremely angry when he found that I was using them for growing mushrooms. He told me to empty them out so he could wash the glasses out.

I grabbed a cardboard slab and slid out the cakes on it, and put it in my ukelele case. I rushed to the store & bought 3 tupperware bowls, came back and quickly put the cakes in them.

Probably wasn't the best handled situation, but now I'm worried that I ruined them.
I checked for contamination, and saw a tiny bit of blue bruising on a few of the cakes, but overall it doesn't look like there was contamination.
Another concern is that the cakes aren't as sealed up as they were in the jars. There's lots of empty room in the bowls they're currently in, will this affect anything?

coyoteyogi

Tough story. I'm sorry your room mate wasn't more understanding. The cakes probably picked up some air borne contaminants when they were exposed, even briefly. It's possible that the mushroom myc will finish growing out. It is certainly worth waiting and see what happens. I'm not sure why you bought tupperware instead of jars. I suspect that even if you are low on funds you could find a re-cycling center that would have empty jars you could use. Good luck and if this fails, just chalk it up to experience. :mellow:

malabar

Coyoteyogi is correct with all he passed on to you.  Also, I'm hoping you at least washed out those Tupperware containers, followed by a good alcohol wipe!
   :ph34r:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

moorhS

Must of been some special glasses :( sounds like an ass hopefully works out bro

fattrout

haunted,
yes, it sounds like your room mate is a little possessive!! but you should know better, always ask before you borrow. ^_^
like coyote and Malabar sad you have a good chance your cakes well survive..G/L
fattrout

dub504

Or very territorial!
A friend of mine that I grew up with played with Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti for a while, any connection?