beating the cold

Started by jabwemet, January 16, 2010, 10:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabwemet

Hello friends, it's damn cold out there.  Anyone have any general tips to share about keeping their FC's warm in the winter?  I'm using a heating pad under my trays but it will only run for about 30 min before automatically shutting off- not very consistent.  Got a couple big trays of GT's but not sure if I can get them to fruit in this cold.
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

dub504

There are some heating pads out there that will stay on. That's what I'm using right now. You could always get a matching tub to your FC (I don't the type your using) and double them up with a spacer, aquarium heater and water in the bottom one.

ImAFungi

What kind of heating pad do you have? I was looking for one on amazon and could only found ones that go to 35 to 45 F.

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

dub504

Sunbeam w low/med/high setting. Temps hang in the 70's.

jabwemet

i like the idea of making an incubator-style FC.  I need to get another bin of this size anyway so I can double up come spring.
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

Azurascender

I use a small 1500watt space heater. I can program it to the temperature I want (76F). When it gets under that by 1 degree it turns on, and when it gets over that by 2 degrees it turns off. It heats a 13x12ft. room and only costs around $40 at Walmart. My temp only ever varies by like 3 degrees.
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

lun0s

What space heater is that? I am thinking of buying myself one

substrate

use an electric blanket instead of a heating pad.  you can unfold it and put another FC or incubator next to it.  be careful not to overheat.  there should be something between the bottom layer of your FC and the bottom of your cakes or jars - or the heat will transfer and cook your myc.