Casing Question...

Started by ImAFungi, January 16, 2010, 12:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImAFungi

Hey I was just checking out my casing and I noticed alittle white fuzz forming on the top. Its very thin and almost foamy looking. I was wondering if this was cobweb or just mycelium growing. Ill get picks up in a couple hours. Thanks.

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

dub504

moorhS

If it looks like cobweb and kinda grey chances are its cobweb mold, spray peroxide/ h20 solution :) worked for me

ImAFungi

Here's a few pictures of what's going on:

ImAFungi

It's kinda hard to see what is exactly going on but I'm pretty sure it's cobweb. But if I'm wrong and I do mist, will it hurt my casing?

malabar

ImAFungi,
  You're right,... It's kind of hard to make anything out, But,,... before proceeding with any "radical" actions, I would attempt a light misting, to see if the growth that you see can be knocked back.  As I say,... Light misting.
  You will know within 24 hours if you will have to step up to treatments, such as peroxide or bleach diluted.
  Honestly, I don't see anything crucial happening.
   ~Malabar     :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fattrout

yeah, its very possible thats cobweb. i'd spray some peroxide on them (2%). works for me..
BTW, don't worry about cobweb to much. i have eaten shrooms grown on cobweb, no problem.. :ph34r:
fattrout

fattrout

like malabar said light spray.....
fattrout

ImAFungi

Well that's glad to hear that it isn't a serious problem. I had a misting bottle with 1/10 ratio of peroxide to water. So if that doesn't not back that cobweb should I move to straight peroxide? Thanks.

-ImAFungi

malabar

IamAFungi,
  I am hesitant to advise a 100% peroxide treatment, though an established mycelia network could probably withstand the blow,...   Perhaps to increase the mix by 50% at max.
  But, as Fattrout stated, you can get past the cobwebs as far as consumption, and your casings will generally "outgrow" the cobweb if the FAE is constant.   So why worry too much??..
Life is Good,....      -_-
   Malabar     :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

ImAFungi

I just thought Fattrout was suggesting it. Otherwise I would have never thought to treat with 100% peroxide. My bad, I misunderstood. Its been 6 days since I cased my amazonians. So I'm hoping any day I will see mycelium peek through the casing. So should I just wait till I put it in the FC to mess with the FAE since the foil is on the casing until then? Life is also good :mellow: besides the cobweb.

-ImAFungi

fattrout

maybe i should have been clearer. when i said 2%, i meant (2% peroxide) in a water mix. i put about 1 to 2 OZs in a full water bottle... ^_^
fattrout

ImAFungi

Haha that makes sense. I have never heard of 100% treatment of anything as far as mushrooms go. Thanks for the advice Fattrout and Malabar  :mellow:.

-ImAFungi