Pressure Cooker

Started by phishroomin, January 19, 2010, 02:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishroomin

So i recently purchased a fairly cheap (40$ range) pressure cooker from walmart to assist me in the process of sterilizing my verm/brown rice flour cakes. Upon returning home and fiddling with the pressure cooker i realized that it only pressurizes at 10 psi. most of the teks have been saying to cook at 15 psi for about 45-60 mins. at what heat range on my oven and for how long should i cook my jars considering mine only goes to 10 psi??

psilocybin warrior

Return it, get a right one.

PW

dub504

Yep, listen to PW. Raising the pressure raises the boiling point of the water, thus higher temperatures. 10 psi won't get hot enough. Although there could be some debate on this if you are only doing BRF. You could never use grains though. Better safe than sorry.

phishroomin

i suppose ill have to do that. is it accurate that using a large pot with a lid, filling it with about and inch or so of water, placing your jars in elevated on a rack and steaming them for 90 mins could be done as a substitution for the pressure cooker? either way i think exchange what ive got. thanks

MT

Yes, the boiling water method works fine for cakes. That is all I ever used when I was doing cakes.

fattrout

you know, if your only doing cakes that P.C. you have may work. if you have already done some cakes. juice them up and see what happins...
fattrout

Azurascender

I have instructions that came with my pressure cooker that states cooking on a lower psi would be sufficient if there is an increase in cook time. These variables depend on altitude mostly. But to sterilize something you must reach a 180 degree temperature. At any pressure you cook at you will more than reach 180 degrees.

15/3=5
90/3=30

If you cook for an hour on 15psi, substitute the pressure for an increased time. For those of you that follow my logic, 90 minutes or perhaps a little less even should be sufficient.
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

psilocybin warrior

Just remember, once you use it....they probably wont take it back.

PW

moorhS

I got a 15psi pc from Bed Bath Beyond 20 $ it was on sale but smokin deal try them if u haven't used the one you have... although I have read about using 13psi and increasing to 90 but litsten to the people on this site they know :)