Humidity Problem

Started by ImAFungi, January 17, 2010, 10:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImAFungi

I can't get my fruiting chamber above 85% humidity. I have a 13 gallon tub with about 1 inch of geolite at the bottom. I have a dual outlet air pump, one connected to a tropic aire system and another running into the FC. It said it was made for 20-60 gallon tanks. I think my air pump might not be powerful enough because I feel no moving air coming out of it and the other hose is fine. I have it running 3 1/2 or 4ft of tubing going from the tropic aire to the FC. Is it that I don't have a strong enough pump or too much tubing or not enought geolite? Thanks
Heres Pics:

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

malabar

IamAFungi,
  Try taping up a few of your exchange holes, and mist your Hydroton.   You have a pump that by appearances is bubbling well.  So, all you need is a bit of "tweaking" and fine tuning.
   ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

moorhS

make sure you have a good RH gauge... I messed and messed with mine then I bought a good RH gauge and I was at 99% the hole time so keep that in mind...

ImAFungi

Alright I patched up the top holes, left the bottom ones, and misted my hydroton. There is a good possibility that my hydrometer is a piece so I'm going to search for a new one. Would adding a 1/2 inch or so of some more hydroton do anything? Thanks Malabar and Moorhs :mellow:

-ImAFungi

moorhS

adding more hydroten will give it more surface area and the RH should go up... I went out and bout a total of 5 RH gauges and the one that "works right" is a flukers digital... about 20$ at (petco, petsmart) but I had to go to 3 different petco to find it... GL bud

ImAFungi

I put about another 1/2 inch of hydroton in the FC. I going to try and find that hydrometer moorhs. I've seen multiple people using that one. Another question, how far apart should each of your cakes be from each other? Thanks guys.

-ImAFungi

moorhS

couple inches... I actually take and turn my cakes when the pins form because usually mine tend to all come out on one side or the top, and im able to put them close to one another, but that's just what i've been doing couple of " is fine though :)

moorhS

are you going to dunk and roll??

fattrout

hey imafungi, its your hydrometer for sure!!! you need to get a good digital one.
with that set up you have. i can guarantee it. that tropicaire is pumping 99%+ RH...
check this out http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/digital_hygrometer.php
fattrout   
fattrout

fattrout

btw, i'm not sure it makes a difference. but i put an air filter on the hoses coming out of the pump... :mellow:
fattrout

ImAFungi

Moorhs, I dunked and rolled my 3 cakes and put them in there today. Some good ole white stuff started showing in my casing today as well and I put that in my FC today as well :mellow:

Thanks for the link Fattrout, I'm going to go ahead and buy that hydrometer. I was starting to get frustrated because I couldn't get it up to 95+. Since I have a casing and 3 cakes in there right now I guess I'll have to wait till it arrives. Thanks Guys :ph34r:

-ImAFungi

moorhS

ya i'm glad I got a good digital one... with casings it's hard to keep an exact humidity when there pinning I try to keep mine between 89-92%... and whenever you mist your casings your RH will go  up so I always remove some tape that are covering my holes to try and keep constant (I still have problems here and there)... good luck