The trich!

Started by ImAFungi, January 19, 2010, 04:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImAFungi

I woke up and found a huge circle of trich on my casing. What a blow. I kinda panicked and i cut it out and remembered that dub put salt pasta on the area that he cut out but all I had was regular salt. Probably doesn't do the same thing but did it anyway and put it a different location of my other cakes. Does that salt do anything or was that just a stupid thing to do and should I just toss it? Let me know.

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

moorhS

I'm not positive but I think he put a salt paste (don't know if there is a salt pasta lol)... salt and water but he will let ya know soon ...
good luck

coyoteyogi

In my sad experience with trich, by the time it makes it to the surface it has worked its way into the substrate. You now have a ticking time bomb in your FC.Trillions and trillions of trichoderma spores are spread around when you 'cut out' the infected part. It may look clean to our eyes but I doubt you got it all. Sucks. Especially since it tends to happen right when you are expecting to see pins. My 2 cents: toss, lysol, wipe down, lysol, wipe down, lysol. Good luck.

ImAFungi

Well my casing is toast :angry: But I think I might have killed it out when I accidently over heated it because when I took a look at what's was going on after I decided to toss it, barely any of the crumbled cakes colonized and they were brown. Not like contam brown but like dead brown. Here is a pic:

What do you think it is? It just looked dead to me. Thanks

-ImAFungi

k12357

looks very dry as well as dead.  how high did the heat get and for how long?
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

dub504

I did say salt paste (water and salt). I said it in the other post, but the trich is making a resurgence. shaking fist

ImAFungi

It got pretty hot. Wasn't using head when I was heating it but there was alot of moisture in the casing. It must have just fried it pretty much. 
   That's pretty sad to hear dub, I was, as I'm sure you were, looking forward to seeing that second and third flush. Only one of my 3 cakes got any trich and it was a very small part. So as soon as I spotted it I cut it out and put salt on it. Should I mist the cake so it doesn't dry out?

-ImAFungi

dub504

I'd rather just start over than battle trich.

MT

Trich always wins but sometimes you can slow it down long enough to harvest a flush.

Baphom3t

Salt will not work with trich.
I don't give a fuck what anyone else says.
All salt does is take away from the area in which your myc could be growing.
I.E , myc hates salt and will avoid it like the plauge.
Proof can be seen Here.
There is no myc growth of any kind where salt was applied or in the surrounding areas.
If you see trich on the surface you have yet to see how far it is within you casing/substrate layers.

There are only 2 choices with a contam'd tray or cake.
1. Throw it out.
2. Move it outside.

Moving it outside can at least give you a 50/50 chance of at least getting 1 or 2 flushes from the contam'd tray/cake.
The amount of colonization seems to play a big roll in in the chances of a harvest.
The more that's colonized before the noticed contam , the better the odds of a possible flush or 2.

Just a little to think about :)

ImAFungi

It was not worth messing with I tossed out my casing. I figured salt would be bad for the myc too. I thought about putting my casing outside but I figured it would be way too cold for it here in Missouri. What do you think? Thanks guys.

-ImAFungi

coyoteyogi

You did the right thing. Write it off to experience and start over. We all get contammed from time to time.

moorhS

Something I didn't really understand your saying it got to hot when you where heating it? u talking about when it was in incubation or when you where sterilizing your casing mix??? just don't understand how it could of killed it unless you didn't wait until your casing mix was completely cool... just curious 

ImAFungi

Moorhs, I was talking about in it was incubating. When I was looking through the casing after I decided it was a goner I noticed that none of the myc really grew anymore and it all looked dead. It was weird. I don't know what went wrong with it :huh: The trich did end up getting to all my other cakes as well so I had to toss them out. So first attempt=complete failure. But I got 11 cakes with 2 of them only a couple of days till I toss them in the FC. Probably just going to keep them as cakes for my first grow. I try casing after I get a couple underneath my belt :mellow: Thanks for all your help guys ^_^

-ImAFungi

moorhS

make sure you clean out your FC real good... if your using perelite or lava rock I would heat it up in the oven to make sure all that pesky mold is killed (not sure about heating the hydroten) ... keep your head up bud you will be rewarded

ImAFungi

haha thanks moorhs :mellow: I was def planning on cleaning it out but I was wondering what temp. for the oven with hydroten. Can anyone help me out?

-ImAFungi