Some ??s about trays. fruiting, flushes,etc.

Started by jobes, January 21, 2010, 10:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobes

I cased several foil trays containing straw.  This is my first time doing trays. I seem to recall reading somewhere to expose to fruiting conditions when the casing layer is 30 percent colonized.  Is this true? or should i wait til its fully colonized?

I plan to place these trays into clear rubbermaid terrariums for fruiting. About two to three per. I was thinking of lining the bottom or each terrarium with perilite.  In these conditions what is my misting schedule going to be?  And are the misting limited to walls of terrarium or the casing layer itself?

Lastly once i harvest how are subsequent flushes handled with Brf cakes i just dunked.  What do i do with trays? Do they need re hydrating in some way? Additional casing etc?

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read and respond.

moorhS

not sure about the straw casing, but my peat/verm casings are left in the incubator for 4 days (or so), usually by then the mycelium is popping up everywhere... then patch and introduce to FC... As far as after the flush a heavy misting is what I do... once again not sure if the straw is same GL

jobes

My casing layer is 50/50 p/v. 1/2-3/4 in of case over 3-4 inches of colonized straw. its been 5 days and it is popping up everywhere. Do you mist at all before or during fruiting? Or just at flush?

malabar

Jobes,
  Congrats on your new crop!   -_-  There are a number of factors that would come into play as to whether you would need to mist, and when.
  These would and are dictated by your means of RH. 
Of course you would want to mist Prior to the appearance of pins,....  But if you have an "external" means of RH, ( Tropic Aire, or another source ) you should need any additional misting.
  Of course this will also be determined by the size of the crop, and also if you notice any drying of the casing layer.  Then keep that RH @ 90% - 93% RH, during the fruiting period.
   With the depth of your casing being close to 1" of p/v , I would think you are holding more than enough moisture, regardless the means of RH.
  As for that 30 % rule,...  I have always held to the fact that, when you start to see the first appearances of mycelium peeking through during the incubation period, ( 3 - 4 days ), it's time to head to the FC. 
  In between your flushes, soak and drain those trays.  I typically have drains punched in mine, if the mycelium hasn't eaten through them already.
  I'm sure you will hear a little more input shortly, so feel free to experiment a bit to find the best of the best. 
  And the best of luck in your future grows.
    ~Malabar     :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

jobes

Forgive me for having additional ???s. But when you say soak and drain following harvest....do I have to allow the myc time to recover before heading back to FC after this.  And do i re apply casing? Thanks mal for the informative response btw.

moorhS

u can leave it in FC when you add the water... and yes you want to patch your casing after flush

dub504

Jobes, just reintroduce your casing back into the FC when you are done working with it. Only reapply casing to your holes, don't re case the whole substrate.