ok fully colonized cakes.....

Started by shroombros, January 24, 2010, 03:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shroombros

ok i got my jars fully colonized i want to case half and just put the rest in the fc as cakes....do i need to pin the cakes before i dunk to put in the casing or not? is it possible to have too much humidity in the fc? also can i cruble my brf cakes in a bag or do you advise against it? kinda in a panic here....first set of babies and dont want to ruin them....any help is much appreciated
i will post pics of my fridge fc when i get a chace....you guys gotta see it

ImAFungi

You don't want to wait till they start pinning before you case them. If there are pins, I'm pretty sure you want to get rid of those because they can induce contamination. You want to have your humidity as close to 99% as possible. But you need to makes sure you get plenty of FAE. I've seen a couple of teks that tell you to crumble cakes in a bag. If your going to do that make sure that you completely sterilize the area you are working in. I'm sure the pro's around here will help you with anything I didn't answer. GL :ph34r:

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

shroomzer

Hey .. no don't let them pin.  As soon as they are colonized, dunk for 12-16 hours (no longer than 24 hrs).  Then roll in fine verm (my preferance) for the cakes you are putting in the FC.  For the cakes you are caseing - I just use a zip lock bag - put the cakes in them and break them into marble size pieces. Put them into a tray and cover with a casing layer.  You can never have to much RH for cakes.  Have fun ~!

moorhS