Fungifun - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cakes still not colonized =[  (Read 14650 times)

lun0s

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cakes still not colonized =[
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 12:55:48 AM »

Well one looks fine. I got bout 40$ I could put towards trying again. Though I shall wait until I can buy a variable space heater for when I incubate them. I will definently try to do a large grow next time.
Once I birth them are the chances of contaminates still just as high? I used a lysol disinfecting whipe on the entire container, though I used normal tap water

dub504

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 10:04:07 AM »

Once a cake or grains are fully colonized, you are pretty safe from contams. Spore prints will be contaminated if you use anything from a contaminated cake (spores are microscopic). Unless you learn strain isolation and agar. I'm also thinking that your incubation camber was getting light in it, so thence the cakes fruiting.

lun0s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:49 AM »

I had checked on them so thats when light might've gotten in, other than that I don't believe light could have even shone on them cause they were on a shelf in a closet.

moorhS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »

instead of buying a space heater for incubation I suggest just using 2 tubs stacked, with h20 in bottom tub and a fish tank heater (pretty cheap) good luck man, keeps my jars right at 82 :)

lun0s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »

Thing is I've called a few pet stores about fish tank heater but they all have said they don't know what temperature the heater keeps the tanks at. I see several kinds of heaters as well so which kind should i aim for?

dub504

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »

Most aquarium heaters have a way to set the temperature. I would look for one that is shatterproof.

cugak

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »

Just put a thermometer in the box that inside of other one, and youll see whats the temp., and then adjust youre heater!
You should use deeper jars and flame/alcohol sterilize youre needle well!
share international

lun0s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »

I flamed, and alchohal sterilized my needle after every injection when I did this(and yes I made the needle red hot).  But I'll check out some aquarium heaters tomorrow.

moorhS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 01:20:48 PM »

I got mine at wal-mart although I have one that is only half submerged but still does the trick I just taped it to the side  :mellow: but pet smart petco they have submerge-able  ones pretty cheap... good luck

lun0s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 01:51:14 PM »

Well if you guys can link me up to any heaters you've used successfully or give me the name/model that'd be very helpful. I will buy a space heater if it is cheaper(I need one anyway)
Pages: 1 [2]