No pinning to be seen

Started by lun0s, January 25, 2010, 05:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Birthed my cakes yesterday, and my 'good' cake seems to not have any pins. My bad cake how ever has a muchroom a few inches long already from one day.
I'm using the bad cake just for my own analytical purpose(touching the premature mushrooms, feeling the cake etc.) Besides the obvious part that's bad both cakes bare similar characteristics. The mycellium seems to have another layer or same white stuff(mycellium, fuzz not sure) growing on top of it. On the bad cake the mushroom caps were slimy.
Just wondering about all these things since its my first grow. I know of the cobweb mold but not sure how to be 100% sure this is a mold and just not the mycellium doing its thing. Are the mushrooms normally supposed to be slimy(keep in mind this is from my bad cake as well)
edit 2;
That large book(a programming book) was just put on there. It's a fair size(and fairly shitty to read) so I figured I'd make good use of it for once and put it on there to maybe keep in to RH(this is humidity right?)
edit;
Forgot to add, the containers are significantly different in terms of size. Will try to take and send a picture of the two. I am pointing to the good cake.
From what I've read this is either a humidy issue since it is much larger than the smaller container, CO2 issue because it isn't making enough, or a mix of both. I know how to make CO2 gas myself from science class so I could solve that with ease myself, the humidity how ever is something I'm unsure about how to solve. Any insight guys?

moorhS

remember if there is mold on that first one and it is left (even in the same room) once you open that container invisible little nasty spores will go airborne, which in tern could contam your good cake... just a thought...if you have white fuzz growing on top of the cake probably okay just the mycelium... if it is Grey in color and looks like webbing then probably cobweb... pics help...smelling the cakes will also give you an idea if there is a contam (dirty feet smell, rotten smell, vinegar smell) pretty much anything that isn't a nice pleasant mushroom smell :) hope I got your questions bro...

MT

The longer you keep that bad cake in your home the more chances are that you will never grow anything but mold. Throw it out if you ever want to be successful. Every time you open the container you are distributing spores throughout the room and contaminating everything in there. Get rid of it!!!

lun0s

I spray lysol after words... I'm only using it so I can actually take a chance with the mushrooms and handle them in mid grow and look closely to see what isn't going right or ask the right questions since I will be handling the cake. I open my bad cake in another room though.
thanks moorhs for the info, that is indeed mycellium growth then not cobweb :D

edit;
Goodness me, the bad cake is almost to the top of the tupperware container haha. This really seems like a humidity issue, would it do any damage if I added CO2?
Also I tried taking a picture of the bad cake but my camera is too crappy to show something I'm not sure about. On some areas of the mushrooms this white fuzz(not grey mind your) feels like cobweb. After school when I got time I might try to remove a portion of this and take a picture again in hopes to illustrate what it looks like.

moorhS

you wouldn't want to add any co2 they put off there own and it has to me removed ( done by manual fanning or air pump ) as far as the mycelium that keeps growing make sure you have "light, FEA, humidity 95+ and the mycelium will stop growing and initiate pinning.... hope this helps bud

ImAFungi

What are using to regulate your FAE? Having good FAE an help get rid of cobweb. Also cobweb isn't that big of a deal. You can eat mushrooms from a cake that has had cobweb. You can always put 1/10 of peroxide to water solution in a spray bottle and lightly mist the cakes. Only do that if your positive its cobweb and if the cobweb is getting out of control. GL

-ImAFungi

String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

lun0s

Alright I've not clue what FEA means, I've got my lights on for a while and they should be getting light from outside when its there. I'm not sure about the humidy though cause my humididy meter died. I see some pins now on the good cake :D But I've got a strong feeling there's not enough humidity so I was wondering how to raise it, the lid has some weight on it but I see no sweat now on the walls. As for cobweb mushrooms, if its a contaminate why would it be safe to eat it?
Edit;
My cat decided to be frisky and rub its head against the tupperware the bad cake was in just a few minutes ago and knocked it over where I had rested it for a moment... When it fell I checked on it and some mushrooms had been damaged so I took them out and noticed at the bass it was dark green(their bad I know), I then continued with it set it on a plate and cut it in half to examine the inside. inside it had some tones of the mold. I also came home today to a funny smell(not sure if its the garbage from last night or not haha) but I haven't smelt the bad cake yet, so I'm wondering if it is safe to me smelling it cause of the mold spores. How should I smell it to be safe?

ImAFungi

FAE stands for fresh air exchange. You can do this by fanning a couple times a day. IF you have hydroton or perilite. It should help keep the humidity up. You can help get the humidity up by spraying the sides of your terrarium. As far as cobweb goes, a couple of people on here have ingested mushrooms with it. Any other contamination isn't safe. If wouldn't think it would be that dangerous to be smelling it, but it can't be good either.

-ImAFungi

MT

I think that you should just eat your cakes and see what happens.

psilocybin warrior

I think you'll vomit, post a pic of it if you do!

pw

lun0s

ImAFungi> I'm using perlite, quite wet to(maybe too wet?). I just don't see any condensation on the walls of my terrarium
mt/psilocybin> lol I'd rather not risk what wellness of health I have right now hah

lun0s

Well I'll make sure to post some pics in a few days when some have fully grown. What should I do though if only like 2 start to grow now and mid growth others start pinning? Just take the fully grown ones out and let the others still grow or dunk?

ImAFungi

If you have standing water in your FC, you have to much water. Otherwise you should be fine. Just make sure to fan it out a couple times a day.

If its just cobweb, you shouldn't get rid of your cakes. You should def post a few pics so we can actually see what's going on.

-ImAFungi

lun0s

Well my the camera I use is pretty shitty, but I'll take some pictures after I get back from exams. By then the mushrooms probably will grow even more.

lun0s

Sorry for how bad it looks I didn't take the time to set the lighting and what not on my phone. Didn't want to leave FC open for too long heh. I don't remember seeing that many mushrooms this morning... I love how these buggers grow

dub504

Nice, lun0s! Looks like your starting to figure things out.

lun0s

heh yeah I usually have to do things hands on before I understand them. I could read an entire book on C programming but unless I actually try it I will be clueless about it ^_^ Same goes for this I read a bunch of crap but I understand it much faster when I do it. I just need to get my sterilizing techniques down alot better. I think I may have done something wrong with the boiling.
edit; My hydrometer at this moment is reading 77% I'm thankful the mushies are still growing hah

MT

Looks like you are starting to get the idea! Get that RH back up to 99% and maintain it. Good luck.

lun0s

Getting it back up would imply it was there already haha. Right now its at a steady 25C and 88 RH.