Green Mold on casings..Am I doing something wrong?

Started by jobes, January 27, 2010, 01:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobes

I cased several trays, covered with foil let colonize for 5 days.  When I removed the foil to put into FC several were contam with green mold.  I would say 1/3 of my trays.  My G2Gs and application to straw are 90% succes. that would cause me to believe it coming from my casing layer.  This is what I am doing:

I do my g2gs in a glove box.

When I add colonized rye to pastuerized straw I do so without gloves. and any enviromental sterilization aside from washing hands, cleaning work area. etc..  Once thats colonizes (2 weeks for 1qt to lasagna pan with straw, sometimes 10 days does it.)....

After pastuerizing my coco/verm casing I add it to my pans in much the same way I did the straw.  I dump it onto the colonized straw and spread in out then cover.  Any flags go up based on what i said about my process?  What was about a 1/3 of my pans is now half and I'm afraid every day another one will bite the dust.  They are in groups of three per terrarium so I dont think its spreading in fuiting area.

Thanks.

dub504

Jobes, It sounds like it's coming from your casing layer. I pasteurized casing once and got trich. So, stick with sterilizing your casing and you'll probably have better success. The rest sounds good, except you might want to wear gloves when handling the straw/grains and casing.
     Some people have said that coir has trich added to it. Why anyone would do that is beyond me and sounds like a conspiracy theory.