Rye berries vs. Popcorn

Started by jobes, January 29, 2010, 04:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobes

Okay so I'm very comfortable working with rye preparation with a high success rate.  I happen to live in an area where I cannot get rye berries.  I usually pick them up in another town when traveling. Not gonna be traveling for a while and out of berries.  So I'm thinking of switching to popcorn for a run or two. 

My question is how does this differ from rye in preparation. And does  myc grow as quickly and easily on popcorn? Basically is it a suitable substitute? I wasted 4-6 weeks using cracked corn and was not pleased... mushy, difficult to properly hydrate, contams, etc.

My rye prep is as follows:

Rinse thoroughly>Soak 24-36 hrs w/ tblsp or so gargen gypsum>boil 10 min>strain let air dry 2-4 hours>load into jars>pc for 90min. 

What would differ if swithching to popcorn?

dub504

I think popcorn is going to be slower than Rye berries. Other than that I think it's all a matter of opinion. Popcorn is very easy to prepare, but I would choose wild bird seed (WBS) or millet/br. rice over that. Anyways here is a good Popcorn Tek. http://www.shroomery.org/9035/Popcorn-Tek-w-pics

fattrout

i have been using pop corn for along time now and love it. i did have to do some tweeking to the tek but for the most part. if you stick to the tek you should have great results. i have just recently started to play with millet and i'm ready to go back to popcorn... its just works good for me. everybody has there favorite tek. you will find yours. G/L
fattrout