sterilizing the needle

Started by spaceboi, January 17, 2010, 05:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboi

can you use a candel flam to sterilize the needle to innocculate the jars

moorhS

first time I did it I used a alcohol lamp but my success rate wasn't as good as with a tourch (probably due to the thick syringe tip I was using)... I would say with a candle you would get wax on your syringe tip and possibly get contams but not sure about that... just make sure whatever you use that it gets the needle red hot... I usually cool with alcohol soaked paper towel

dub504

I use a gas stove. I think a candle flame might be a kind of dirty flame source, a lot of carbon, which would probably stick to the needle.

coyoteyogi

It takes a steady hand with a candle. You want to put the needle at the top of the small blue flame. Otherwise you get the black coating.

fattrout

i us just 91% or higher alcohol on a cotton ball. wipe down the needle then wait about 5 sec. and your ready.... :mellow:
fattrout

Helo

I just used alcohol for my first time sterilizing and innoculating. I haven't had any contams yet.  ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

lun0s

When I think of it I flame sterilized after each inoculation, and ALL but one jar were contaminated... I had black residue left on my needle from the flame sterilization. I held the needle on the orange part of a lighter flame, could that be the reason?

fattrout

i'm sure that a lighter or candle can be use. but both of those will leave soot. thats why alcohol is best. it burns very clean.....
fattrout

ImAFungi

If you go to walmart, they have these really cheap burners. Like its a small can that has some paste. You just light, wait a bit, and it's good to use. Its all blue flame, which you want. So I would just go buy that. It's like $5.

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

shroomzer

Alcohol.  Cheapest, easiest, cleanest way to sterilize. Period.

MT

Buy or make an alcohol burner.

-CAP KING-

yoyo

Im about to start so im gathering my disinfectants. can i use surgical spirit to sterilise the needle?
nature's little gems

dub504

I think shroomzer said it best...
Quote from: shroomzer on January 31, 2010, 02:04:04 PM
Alcohol.  Cheapest, easiest, cleanest way to sterilize. Period.

MT

I don't know what "surgical spirit " is. I always use 91% alcohol.