new 2 growing... got the spores, unsure of what the best method is!! Help please

Started by DAYtripper69, January 23, 2010, 12:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAYtripper69

:ph34r: i used 2 do alot of mushies til they were made illegal....
now i only enjoy em when i go amsterdam a few times a year!
I 've watched a few videos on youtube and read a bit on the net but
I really dont kow what way 2 do it.... I got equadorian spores in my fridge waiting... some1 please just give me a few pointers for the quickest way!
I used 2 grow weed but I can't seem to just find a step by step from spores!

Much love x

lun0s

include millet in your substrate mixture. From what others have said around here mycellium grows fantastic in that stuff.

DAYtripper69

:rolleyes: i dont have a substrate mixure yet lol.... i will keep that in mind but can i just ask am i right in thinking the best way is in jars, with vermiculate and water and tin foil and inject etc.... or is there a better way! very new2this... consider me a child lol

lun0s

Well luckily you didn't do that yet. Cause from what I've managed to learn vermiculite and water won't even grow proper mushrooms. You need some form of nutritional base for the mushrooms to eat. Thats why you usually will see brown rice flour, vermiculite and water as a substrate.

DAYtripper69

just so u get where i'm coming from this is the video I think I am going to follow!
Is this right??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iFi3YrIo7o

dub504

There are two basic ways you can go about growing these things. The video that you mentioned is the PF Tek or BRF "Brown Rice Flower" method. The other would be to start with jars of whole grains that you sterilize and inoculate w/ the spore syringes. Both methods are similar. Some of us around here prefer growing w/ whole grains, myself included, IMO the better way. Others around here can point you in the direction growing cakes.
Taking a look at www.shroomery.org will show some proven teks for both options. If you follow the teks you really can't go wrong. GL

moorhS

if this is your first grow I definitely recommend the PF Tek... some people are able to skip  this method and go straight to grains though... guess it depends on how much you research and understand the material... but Brown Rice Flour is a good step

Azurascender

The best way to grow in my opinion if you have limited or no experience in mushroom growing is the PF-Tek method. It is the easiest way to grow and harvest mushrooms without too much complication. You don't have to worry about contaminating a casing and you can just fruit right out of your cake. Open up a new window and go to FungiFun.org and click on the video link. Scroll all the way down to the bottom and find the words ''Mushroom Growing Made Easy''. They explain the techniques for both PF-Tek and whole grain growing, and how to keep from contaminating your crop. I recommend paying closer attention to the PF-Tek parts of the video but then again with enough research you can successfully do either.
Good luck with your first grow.
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

Azurascender

Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

DAYtripper69

:ph34r:thank you all 4 your help - I will look at all the things u guys have suggested!
I will hopefully do ok for a first time... will try and post pics!!
Thanks again!  :wub:

DAYtripper69

Quote from: dub504 on January 23, 2010, 01:23:13 PM
Taking a look at www.shroomery.org will show some proven teks for both options. If you follow the teks you really can't go wrong. GL

:ph34r:

good site man... thx

dub504

cugak

If you have a pressure cooker then start with whole grains, if not, start with brf cakes!
share international

substrate

if you watch all the vids at http://www.mushroomvideos.com/ they will walk you through the whole process.  they keep it very simple.

note too - you don't really need "brown rice flour" - any rice can be dropped in the blender or magic bullet and turned into rice flour.  genetically rice is rice.

MT

White rice has most of the nutrients bleached out of it. That is why all of the various teks call for brown rice or brown rice flour.