I need mre enlightenment

Started by lun0s, February 01, 2010, 03:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Which means I need more mushies, I'm scared to try it again not out of fear of contams through poor sterilization but contams through the needle. I had use a lighter and there is black residue on the outside which means undoubtedly there is going to be some on the inside. I suspect this residue is the main reason I had so many bad jars, if anyone could let me know if that is the reason/suspect I would really appreciate it becasue I want to start another batch but don't want to waste if it's going to go contam'd because of the damn needle tip.

shroomzer

Well then use 99% alcohol to sterilze the needle.  Thats what a lot of people do.  Clean your work area, spray lysol and I even work in front of a hepa filter.  I think this was covered in another thread.  Who knows exactly why YOU got contams.  We all go through it periodically ... just get over it and start again and watch every step to make sure you are clean and doing it appropriatly.

lun0s

Well I'm wondering if the soot itself is passing contams into the solution since it is more than likely also inside of the.

GGAllin

Unless you held the tip of the needle under the flame you should be able to clean the soot off with rubbing alcohol.  The black soot is carbon residue from the flame and is only on the outside.  so rubbing it off should work.

If some of the flame got inside the tip then you might have a problem.

coyoteyogi

Welcome to the forum. soot is not a contam. I wouldn't deliberately put it in the jar but no worries about it. Use the alcohol wipe method. Good luck and keep growing.

lun0s

Alright thanks I will be trying tomorrow then after i pick up that highest % rubbing alc I can find in the store haha.

dub504

Are you using a PC or just the boil method for your jars?

lun0s

For the moment I can't afford the pressure cooker so boil method. Many people have said boiling works just as fine as PC. When I boiled the water I did it for longer than you should pressure cooker to be on the safe side.

MT

Ninety minutes after the water starts to boil is plenty of time.

dub504

lun0s

substrate

there are a lot of things that might have caused your contamination.  i would suggest picking up a "hobby torch" at lowe's or home depot.  they use butane under pressure, and will get much hotter than your lighter.  heet the entire needle to red/white hot before each jar is inoculated.  that won't solve everything, but it will rule-out your needle as the cause of contams.