Contamination??

Started by phishroomin, February 01, 2010, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishroomin

So i have 12 jars knocked up that so far and all of them seem to be colonizing pretty nicely. however, one of the jars looks questionable, it started colonizing white but didn't seem to have the same fibery strands as the other mycelium growing in the other jars. instead its thicker and starting to turn from white to partly off colored orange. does that sound like a contamination? i havent been able to identify it with any other pictures of contaminants. ill try and post a picture soon

ImAFungi

We can't help you much until you post pics. u might wanna separate that jar from the rest just in case until you figure out if its contaminated or not.

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

MT

Too hard to tell from the photo. Any color other than white is not a good sign though.

ImAFungi

I can't really tell what color that jar is besides white. But light orange isn't good. Here is a link of some common contaminations: http://www.shroomery.org/5276/What-are-common-contaminants-of-the-mushroom-culture

-ImAFungi

phishroomin

hmmm, ya i've looked at those pictures before but it doesn't really look like any of those. if you look at my picture you can tell that the white is just slightly off colored. its been separated from the other, but im gonna keep an eye on it for a couple days and maybe try and post a better picture....on a side note, IamAFuni it really does blow that rothbury isn't going down this year, but at least cheese announced a few dates today!!  :ph34r:

ImAFungi

Sweet! I think I'm going to at least one of the Red Rocks shows. What about you?

-ImAFungi

substrate

any chance that jar was tilted during the sterilization boil?  that almost looks like iron deposits with could have come from the water.  just a guess.  I'll be interested to hear if it colonizes.

if it is just iron, the myc should filter-out the mineral with no effect to the fruit

phishroomin

substrate i think you're absolutely right.  i definitely had a jar or two fall over while i was steaming them. i guess ill just see what happens when theyre fruiting.

phishroomin

turns out that jar was contaminated, however the other 11 jars are doing well and are just days away from going in the FC. just knocked up 12 more B+ this morning  ^_^  will post pictures of the fruits soon

MT

Good luck with your next attempt. Don't give up.