Pinning Question...

Started by Helo, February 09, 2010, 06:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helo

Quick question guys. Can't seem to find the answer anywhere...

What should I do about my cakes pinning in the jars? I wanted to dunk before I put them in the FC, but I don't know what to do about the pins. Should I remove the pins then dunk, or dunk with the pins? Or should I just put them in the FC and dunk on the second flush?   :huh:

Thanks as always guys. I'll try to throw some pics up as soon as I can.
   ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

MT

You probably will have more success if you dunk and roll them after birthing. Just remove the pins first as they could drown and rot on your cakes causing them to become contaminated.

Helo

Cool, thanks MT. The odd thing is, the cakes don't look like they are fully colonized, and yet they are pinning. Do cakes sometimes look a little uncolonized when they are in fact fully colonized? I don't wanna birth them too early, but they are all pretty much pinning. Just curious if I should wait a few more days, or go ahead and birth them since they are pinning.

Thanks for all the help.  ^_^

moorhS

hmmm if you have pinning and they aren't fully colonized that's not good... when you birth scrape off any part of cake that isn't colonized. . .  u can dunk with the pins on the cake, they won't drown (just dunk 10hr or so)

lun0s

One of my cakes had pinned(and grew) because I had continually checked on them, exposing light. You may have initiated the fruiting stage prematurely. Just scrape off uncolonized parted like everyone else is sayin

MT

I used to dunk my cakes for 24 hours which will cause pins to drown and rot. If you only dunk them for ten hours you will be OK with the existing pins but you are not hydrating the cakes fully. I am no longer using cakes though.

Helo

So, my cakes were fully colonized. The vermiculite barrier at the top fell down the sides when the cake shrunk, causing me to think that they werent fully colonized. So, all my worries were for nothing. Cakes are currently being dunked, and will be put in the FC at approx. 8 or 9 in the morning. I'll be sure to put some pics up as soon as I take some. I basically just have a Poor Mans Pod.

Thanks for all the help guys. Been a real life saver. This is my first time growing and I have had no REAL problems, and I have you guys to thank for it.   ^_^