Operation Shroomsday

Started by -CAP KING-, February 02, 2010, 12:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-CAP KING-

Yo yo werd up breverins!

Today is a special day for me..... my spores arrived!
I now have everything i need (i think) to start up the operation.
I made a sexy lil sheet for you guys to look at with all my equipment on.
Please comment on my purchases and advice needed about incubating; I couldn't anywhere i could buy taperless jars cheap so i'm guessing i can air tight the drinking glasses?

cheers geezers!
nature's little gems

lun0s

Looking good. Hope to see some more pics later bro :)

ImAFungi

Looks like you got all the fixin's. Def post some picks :ph34r:

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

-CAP KING-

Don't worry boys,
I'll keep you up to date with every stage! and plus i need help, being a first timer n all....

muchos respecto
nature's little gems

fattrout

yeah your ready!! when you get a chance look for a digital hygrometer. they work much better... :mellow:
fattrout

-CAP KING-

note taken fattrout.

what about these glasses then? how can i fasten a lid for them which will survive the pressure cooker? im thinking a couple of layers of tin foil?
nature's little gems

MT

Right. Just use two layers of foil. Then remove the top layer for inoculation. Good luck!

-CAP KING-

cheers mate. no tape or nothing you rekon?
nature's little gems

Psychonought

Hey hows it going cap king? About the drinking glasses....it might be easier to just get some half pint mason jars, especially with brown rice flour/verm method. They're cheap and I would bet pretty easy to come by, online or in store.  It would suck to prep it all, just to see that some taped/foiled seal broke.  Just an idea. Good luck man, peace  :ph34r:

MT

If you mean taping the foil on, it probably wouldn't hold up to well in your PC or to the boiling water sterilization method either for that matter. If you mean using micropore tape to cover the resulting holes after inoculation, it couldn't hurt but the layer of pure verm on the top is there to provide a barrier for contaminants. I hope this helps.

Helo

Looking good Cap King.  -_-

Good Luck on your grow.  ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

-CAP KING-

Yeh, im really concerned about using these Glasses now. Is there anyone from the UK with a good online source for cheap mason jars?
Help me out lads, i wanna get this op. on the go so i can reap the rewards before i have to go home for easter! Hahaha

thanks for the help tho guys.
nature's little gems

-CAP KING-

Right, so ive found 2 suppliers for the type of jars i want; one has taperless jars the right size but does a minimum of 24 jars per order and im not paying £50 for glass jars!
The other has jars for 89p each but they have a slight taper. Can someone tell me from experience how flexible the cakes are when removing from the jars?
Here's the link for jars i'm hovering over at the moment. Please tell me if the taper is too big or will be fine.

http://www.preserveshop.co.uk/glass-jam-jars/round-jars/round-jar-454ml?cPath=1_52

cheers peeps.
nature's little gems

MT

You won't be able to extract the cakes from those jars without tearing them up. The glasses that you were going to use will work fine IMO.

Helo

Yea, MT is right. Those jars won't work for cakes. It will be a real problem trying to birth them, and that's just going to ruin all your hard work. They would work for grains, however. I would just use the glasses like MT said, they seem to be fine.  ^_^

As for the 24 pack of jars, it could be a good investment in the long run. You can use 12 jars for cakes, and have 12 jars leftover for making prints for new syringes. Or, you could start 12 new cakes and have a nice constant flow of colonized cakes. Just a suggestion. Good Luck Cap King.   ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

-CAP KING-

I think you're right Helo. Im gonna make the investment of the jars, they do look like really nice ones. Have a lil looky http://www.jbconline.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=12
nature's little gems

-CAP KING-

Hi again,
I received my jars today; 23 ok, 1 broken.

I was just about to start making my substrate when i realised i need distilled water!
Where can i get this stuff from in the UK? And what about deionised water?
Help me please.
nature's little gems

moorhS

making your subtrate I don't think it really matters unless you have some really nasty water. . .  I use out of the tap (although I do have spring water) if nothing else just boil some of your water and walla! distilled :)

-CAP KING-

I just bought some de-ionised water from the garage. Apparently this is very similar to distilled water. moorS, boiled water is different to distilled water, you need a bit more lab equipment to distill. But if tap water has worked i get your point. I'm gonna use the de-ionised water now, i have 2 litres of it.
nature's little gems

MT

Tap water will work OK unless it is so bad you can't drink it. Remember, you are putting the jars in a PC that is going to sterilize everything anyway.