Fungifun - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed

Author Topic: How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat  (Read 2575 times)

lun0s

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 187
    • View Profile
    • Email
How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:26:40 AM »

Well I was just checking out some of my second flush and decided to chew on one, it had a bitter taste(kind of like what a dandelions juices make your hands taste like after you play with them, used to when I was little). I've only had tried mushrooms so I'm not sure what good wet ones should taste like but the taste I had wasn't reassuring so anything you guys could tell me to help me know?
They LOOKED fine but this quote "Eat one wrong mushroom and, up to 2 weeks later symptoms develop, and the only chance of saving your life is a liver or kidney transplant." really makes me weary of them now because I hate surgery/hospitals enough as it is. I only had about 1-2 cm of the base of the stem as a taste test.
Logged

moorhS

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 342
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »

if it smells like mushrooms and you have no mold growing on cake then all should be good..... if it doesn't taste like mushroom then I guess I would be a little worried but as far as liver and shit goes unless u grew the rong kind or there's some serious mold growing u should be fine bud  :mellow:
Logged

MT

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 335
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »

I believe that quote has to do with harvesting wild mushrooms. If you have grown your mushrooms with spores from a reliable source I do not believe this would be a concern. But if you are that concerned perhaps you should consider another hobby. Besides what if your parents find out what you are up to.
Logged

lun0s

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 187
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »

I live on my own, and my parents do know I'm growing mushrooms. I'd rather ask than to share with some friends and possibly do bad to them cause of some bad mushrooms.
Logged

MT

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 335
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »

Just pullin your leg a little. Yes, it is much better to be safe than it is to eat something that could make you violently ill or worse. One of the last things you would want to happen is to get sick while tripping.
Logged

ImAFungi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 278
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »

Yea man, we saw the pictures they looked fine. To some people mushrooms don't taste good.

             -ImAFungi
Logged
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!