How to tell if your mushroom is unsafe to eat

Started by lun0s, February 07, 2010, 09:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Well I was just checking out some of my second flush and decided to chew on one, it had a bitter taste(kind of like what a dandelions juices make your hands taste like after you play with them, used to when I was little). I've only had tried mushrooms so I'm not sure what good wet ones should taste like but the taste I had wasn't reassuring so anything you guys could tell me to help me know?
They LOOKED fine but this quote "Eat one wrong mushroom and, up to 2 weeks later symptoms develop, and the only chance of saving your life is a liver or kidney transplant." really makes me weary of them now because I hate surgery/hospitals enough as it is. I only had about 1-2 cm of the base of the stem as a taste test.

moorhS

if it smells like mushrooms and you have no mold growing on cake then all should be good..... if it doesn't taste like mushroom then I guess I would be a little worried but as far as liver and shit goes unless u grew the rong kind or there's some serious mold growing u should be fine bud  :mellow:

MT

I believe that quote has to do with harvesting wild mushrooms. If you have grown your mushrooms with spores from a reliable source I do not believe this would be a concern. But if you are that concerned perhaps you should consider another hobby. Besides what if your parents find out what you are up to.

lun0s

I live on my own, and my parents do know I'm growing mushrooms. I'd rather ask than to share with some friends and possibly do bad to them cause of some bad mushrooms.

MT

Just pullin your leg a little. Yes, it is much better to be safe than it is to eat something that could make you violently ill or worse. One of the last things you would want to happen is to get sick while tripping.

ImAFungi

Yea man, we saw the pictures they looked fine. To some people mushrooms don't taste good.

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!