Some tips for making a syringe

Started by lun0s, February 15, 2010, 10:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Well those jars that colonized really quickly were indeed contaminated, but it doesn't look like cobweb mold. There is a very black mold in there. My other jars don't appear to have this mold so I'm assmuming its the syringe. I made my syringe by doing the following;
-Used rubbing alchohol to sterilze a 250ml jar
-Turned oven on to cause some air flow
-Flame sterilized exacto blade, then used rubbing alchohol after words
-Put the jar on the oven rack and then moved the mushroom cap into the jar
-Put the jar lid on and let it sit for a day to make a spore print, then moved the mushroom cap to make another print, let sit for another day
-Few days later I used the needle tip(don't recall if I sterilized it or not) to scrape the print around in about 20cc of distilled water
If my other jars don't have this black mold I would be led on to think something went wrong in my syringe making.

bigfatmouthj

Heres a little simpler way, it isnt 100% contam proof but ive not had any problems yet....

get a half pint jar with lid (put a small hole on edge of lid for accessing with your syringe and drawing up spore solution later on), pour about half full with distilled water put lid on and cover the lid with a piece of foil(to prevent water from splashing into the jar when sterilizing) then put the jar in a pot with some water and bring to a simmer and cover with a lid for about 1 1/2 hours. your water should be ready to go!

make your spore print on a piece of foil, make sure you have some good alcohol (about 90% is what i use) to sanitize your hands and scalple and surface area before you start working. wipe the foil down on both sides and let dry before making the spore print. then once you have the print ready and the water is sterile and cool....open the lid and scrape your print into the jar and you will have a jar full of spore juice ready to roll!! sorry if ive missed anything. this method hasnt failed me yet, good luck  :ph34r:

lun0s

Reading around I seen you need to let the spores get hydrated(which I just scraped, sucked up and injected). Thanks for this tip, next batch I will try this, and anyother suggestions, out. I plan on ordering/buying a couple syringes. Any particular cause that made black mold grow, or is it just one of those things that happens with bad syringes? I've also noticed one thing in particular about molds from my first batch, I only had got green mold in my bad jars so that seems like green mold is a bad sterilization indicator and black means bad syringe :P haha that's probably wrong but my two cents

substrate

They usually suggest using an "inoculation loop" with distilled water to gently "scrub" the spores from the print and pour the water with spores into something you can then fill the new syringe from.  (I agree FOIL is the best surface to print upon BTW)

I've found that you can take a plastic straw (like you drink from at Mcdonalds) and use a hole-punch to cut-away part of it near the tip.  That leaves you with a fairly soft "loop" at the end, so you can scrub off the spores without damaging them.  Single use of course, but heck, they are free at Micky-D's.

moorhS

nah mold is mold, you can have black, green, orange ,"whatever" in your syringe or in your substrate. . . .  be more sterile when doing your syringe, super easy dude. . .  GL