Making a spore syringe

Started by Vandal_xx, February 15, 2010, 12:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandal_xx

Hey guys, on my first ever attempt at growing I hit up 5 one pint jars of BRF cakes about 6 days ago. I followed a  Tek on making the syringe from a spore print. I the only syringe I could get my hands on was only a 5cc. I used one spore print that was shipped to me about 5 months ago.
#1 - I only let the spores sit in the syringe for about 2 hours before I hit the jars up. Later I read that the spores should sit in the syringe for at least 24 hours. Do you think I'm doomed?
#2 - For the first 6 days I didn't have a good setup for incubation and only had temps around 70F-72F. I just set up a better system today and now can easily maintain temps at 80F. Do you think the combination of these two beginners errors will doom my first crop??

Also curious about where to buy syringes legally? I'm in the northwest and drug stores looked at me like I was some idiot when I tried to buy syringes there.

Thanks so much guys
Feel good before dying!!!!!

k12357

you shouldent be doomed.  just be patient.  most of the suppliers online that sell spores will also sell you syringes.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

moorhS

I buy 20cc syringes from a feed store. . . like a dollar a piece. . .  they work great :) no funny looks either cause there for animals so as far as they know I have a bunch of cows :) \
and only time will tell if they will grow mycelium wait few more days and if no growth the spores probably weren't properly hydrated. . . good luck bud

Vandal_xx

Thanks guys.... Well at least if nothing grows i know I'm not getting any contaminants in during my syringe making and inoculation. That's sweet. What is a good amount of time to let my spores sit in my sterile water before I knock up my jars? and whats the longest you guys have ever waited to see signs of mycelium? and how long should I wait before I scrap this batch?
You guys are so helpfull!!! I've spent soooooo many hours reading this forum.
THANKS ANNO!!!

Helo

Hey Vandal_xx, i'm gonna try to answer a few of your questions.   -_-

I've never made my own spore syringe, or print for that matter, so wait for the pro's to answer that question, lol.  :huh:

I'm a first time grower myself, but I have 6 jars of Malabar's that took about 20 DAYS to see my first REAL signs of growth on 4 of them. And YES, it was a TERRIBLE 20 days, lol.    :wacko:

As for how long you should wait...I'd wait until you have something else going into the incubation chamber before you trash this project. You never know, you may see some signs after 20 days and be surprised.   :mellow:

Good Luck Vandal_xx, hope your jars start colonizing.
   ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

substrate

about $1 each here:

http://everythingmushrooms.com/shop/Culturing-Tools/

and no one to give you funny looks.

You can also sterilize and reuse syringes. 

Vandal_xx

Helo,
     Thanks, I feel SOOOO much better. I've read so much from the "pros", that they make it sound so easy. I cant wait to see some growth and then move on to  some grains.. sounds like so much fun.
aLSO thanks for the tips for syringes.
If I reuse a syringe, can I just boil it, or do I need to PC it? as I don't have a PC quite yet... thats why I had to go with the BRF Tek.

substrate

I've read a couple different ways to re-sterilize syringes, most of the steps can be found here:

http://www.shroomtalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35136

Other info I've read says to fill and empty the syringe with alcohol a couple times after the boiling water.  I'm guessing you'd have to re-flush with boiling water then to get the alcohol out. 

Let me know what works for you.  I have some empties I want to use again later.

moorhS

i boil water for 10min fill syringe with the boiling water. . .  let water sit in syringe few minutes repeat 2-3 times then the 3rd time keep your water in the syringe and you have clean water for spores. . .  Walla

Helo

No problem Vandal_xx. Glad I could be of some help to you.   ^_^

When I first started thinking about doing this, I was so confused and a bit freaked out. But all the pro's here really helped me out by answering all my silly questions and trying to keep me patient, lol. All I can say is, TRUST THESE GUYS. They will steer you towards a good harvest. And once you get started and begin to see some colonization, you begin to realize, it's not all that hard or scary.   :mellow:

The two most important things to me in this hobby are Patience and Sterility. If you can be Patient and Sterile, you will be fine.

Good Luck again Vandal_xx, and be sure to check out the Search Function. That thing's saved me when I needed an answer FAST. If you can't find the answer though, feel free to ask anyone here. Can't wait to see your progress!   ^_^

-Helo
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing