Birthday

Started by phishroomin, February 15, 2010, 03:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishroomin

Greetings all,
I have 3 brf/verm cakes that are fully colonized at this point(which I am extremely excited about), and 9 others that are several days behind those. My plan is to dunk them for 24 hrs. in a metal stove pot which I will place in my refrigerator to cold shock them. My fruiting chamber consists of a transparent rubbermaid tub with about an inch or so of wet perlite. I'm not sure if I should poke holes in it for air exchange or not(i was thinking maybe poking 5 or 6 on each side). For my source of light I'm using a clamp on reading lamp(12 on 12 off). When it comes to fanning and misting them I'm not sure how many times a day I should be doing this. I've read that 76*F is a good temperature for fruiting, and 30RH for humidity.
My questions are...
-Is the dunk and roll/cold shock the way to go?
-Is 1 inch or perlite enough?
-Should I poke holes for air exchange?
-How often should I be fanning/misting them?
-What is the best temperature range for voluptuous fruits?
-Do you see any other possible flaws in the method I'm going by?

I've been passionate about the mushroom experience for quite some time, but this is my first attempt at cultivating them myself(and certainly not the last), so I would appreciate any pointers you people might have for me. If you're taking the time to read and respond to this I am MUCH obliged.

As the next few weeks go by I will update everyone with pictures of all the action on this thread.
Thanks again,
(I'm not going to tell you my name) :ph34r:

k12357

if you poke the holes then you dont need to fan.  they are for the same purpose. FAE.  if you poke to many your RH will be to low, so you need to play around with it.  "30RH" is to low for your humidity once you start fruiting you want 100% after pinning it is ok if it drops a little 90% or so depending on if your casing or not.  dunk and roll is definitely the way to go with cakes. perlite might need more than one inch.  you need a hygrometer to be sure of your humidity.  fruiting at 70 degrees F works good.  If your going to fan for FAE you need to do so 3 or 4 times a day.  with the holes you dont need to fan. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

substrate

I had a batch of perlite get contaminated with trich.  It's near impossible to scrub or scrape it from the plastic surface once that happens. 

I suggest putting the perlite into flat-bottomed tupperware or other containers - then putting that directly on the bottom of your FC.  Directly on the bottom ensures water/vapor will be released as the heat transfers up through the container. 

If your perlite gets contaminated you can just toss the tupperware container (and perlite) and replace it instead of trying to rebuild your FC during the fruiting process. 

I know it's not standard practice, but but it helps to modularize the FC so cleaning it up is easier.  You can still put your cakes (on foil) on top of the perlite if you're short on space.  Just my 2 cents.