Mycelium Question

Started by LivingDead1224, February 15, 2010, 04:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingDead1224

Hi I am new to growing.. I have started a batch of 12 1/2pint jars . i innoculated them on the 27th of January.  as of now only 2 jars show signs of mycelium..  the growth is probably the size of a 50 cent piece on both jars... However none of my other jars have growth at all..  I innoculated each jar on the edges so it would grow outside in...  Can someone please tell me why the other jars are not growing...  by the way i used equadoran

k12357

what temp are you incubating at?
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

LivingDead1224

well its the dead of winter here... i know it says to keep them at 75 to 80 degrees.. but to be honest its probably around 68 to 70 in the room

k12357

that can cause slow growth.  you should still see something its been 19 days.  just keep em in dark.  and be patient.  there are alot of reasons why some of them didnt take, but hopfully there just slow.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

LivingDead1224

Thank you...  is it ok to wrap a blanket over the jars to keep in the heat and darkness?

k12357

lun0s

That'd just about do it having a low temperature. I personally rather grow during the colder seasons because I can heat up the room :)

Helo

Yea, two weeks is a long time to see no colonization, but be patient. I'm doing 2 different kinds at the same time and one kind is real fast (currently in the Fruiting Chamber), and the other kind is real slow (still colonizing). I innoculated on Jan. 14th. The slower one is only at about 15% colonization, and it's been 4 weeks, haha. I didn't see any mycelium until about 20 days after innoculating, and my Incubating temps were pretty much perfect. Just wait it out, I know it's tough. I was worried that they weren't going to grow at all, but good things are likely to come.  :mellow: 

As for a reason why 2 are colonizing faster than the other 10...It may be because those 2 jars got a little bit more spore juice?  :huh:  lol. Dont worry, sounds like you are well on your way. 

Good Luck LivingDead1224, hope everything works out for you.   ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

substrate

Cold and dry...  I would suggest "borrowing" your FC and making it into a temporary incubator.  Put an electric blanket under it, and put in a bowl of wet perlite.  It's easy to keep the temp just below 80f, and RH at 40% or so.  EQ seems to like it warm, and the added RH will help to ensure the moisture in your jars is not evaporating into the air.

I would also suggest putting something between the floor of the incubator/tote and the bottom of the jars.  Heat can transfer quickly through solids, and your jars might get too warm to colonize.