Rust!

Started by lun0s, February 16, 2010, 06:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

So this seems like a problem I'm not sure how to combat. My lids where I put holes, and even some other places :() have rust. When I reused my last jars I cleaned the rust off as good as possible but on this batch when I disposed of the bad jars the lids had rust forming from the moisture inside jars. Should I be worried about rust it seems pretty obvious that it is a very good contamination factor but I could be wrong.

bigfatmouthj

Rust is an enemy! i just had a problem with a few jars after
cleaning them also. i just went out and bought new lids.
you could use tin foil to cover the jars. but rust will contaminate
your jars for sure. :angry:

lun0s

Would polyester filling the holes help combat the rust that is forming from moisture? From everything I've read so far I have yet to actually come across any mention of rust oddly.
Edit;
Just did a quick search on shroomery... http://www.shroomery.org/5163/Theres-rust-on-the-lids-of-my-PF-jars-is-that-okay once again I'm finding info on there and then hearing other things from other sources(fungifun.org)

k12357

rust is a chemical reaction between water metal and air.  it is not a bacteria that is going to cause contamination.  Ive never had problems with my rings getting a little rust on them.  i use synthetic filter disks, so i dont work about the lids.  occasionally the rust will stop me from closing my jars properly and ill switch rings.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

substrate

if they are really bad, and you're concerned about it, new lids are CHEAP - like a dollar or two for a box of 12. 

I found a very helpful tool at Lowe's or Home Depot.  It's made by "General" and is a 3-in-one marking tool.  One of the tips is a hardened steel awl.  It allows you to make small, perfectly round holes in your lids with just a little pressure using your fingers.  Very smooth, easy to control.  Less damage to the lids, less rust.  I think the tool was about $6.

lun0s

I already made the holes using a nail and piece of wood with a hole in it(to easily push the nail through). The rust isn't THAT bad its just present.

MT

Rust has never been the cause of bacterial contaminants in any of my past grows. I don't believe that rust generates bacteria that can infect your mushroom production.

lun0s

Alright just wanted to confirm wether or not to be worried about ti with a few others

dub504

I remember malabar saying rust is unwanted in your mushroom culture some time ago. I found wide mouth plastic lids online, which work great for me. A large hole in the middle for Polyfil and four small silicone self healing inoculation points around the outside. After a couple of uses you can just pull off the silicone and reapply.

lun0s

I might just order some plastic lids online. That'd clear up my lids rusting away on me.

malabar

Good memory, Dubmeister! 
You will go far Grasshopper ,...
   ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dub504