Qustion on gas exchange?

Started by Vandal_xx, February 19, 2010, 01:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandal_xx

Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far on my first grow!
I used i pint jars with 4 holes with tape on them for innoc. Then I put aluminum foil over them and steamed. I pulled the foil off for innoc and then put it back on for incubation. The first batch I did seem to be growing mycelium, slowly, but steady. I have read in some posts about gas exchange in the incubation period. Does this apply in my case? Should I be letting my jars breath somehow? BTW I'm using BRF cakes.
Also, what are some average times from first growth signs to 100% colonization? I know it is different from person to person and strain to strain, but a little input would be nice.
So do I let my BRF cakes breath during incubation?
What are some average lengths of 100% colonization of BRF cakes @ 82F?
Thanks much guys!! I'll keep posting pics as I go. Hopefully you guys like seeing my pics as much as I like seeing yours -_-
oh yeah..... I hit them up with spores. no LC
Feel good before dying!!!!!

moorhS

ok Vandal, my first time doing BRF pint jars, it took 25+ days to fully colonize, now it takes me about 14-17 days... 82 degrees is a good temp to keep them at so that's OK, your gas exchange is important if you want the BRF to colonize quickly. . .  never used tape on mine....  BRF I just use foil and after mycelium starts to grow I take and bunch up all the tin foil so u can see down the jars, this allows air release and speeds up colonization. . . the tape might possibly be blocking air (depends what tape) but that's just the ways I do things. . . .  good luck bud

Vandal_xx

Thank much man. I was looking at pictures and shit trying to see how other people had theirs setup, but they were all covered in foil too. I will untape mine.! When using BRF are you using the 4 hole in your cover with holes? That's what I have setup. Think I will get enough gas exchange with that setup with foil lightly on??
Thanks again man.
SO EXCIETED!!!!!
Feel good before dying!!!!!

MT

All I ever used with BRF cakes was micropore tape over the four holes in the lid. My half pint jars generally took three to four weeks to fully colonize after I spotted the first signs of growth.

moorhS

they don't need alot of air exchange (although at night I can hear my damn jars "whistling") sounds like how you have it, it is fine you just need to be patient these little suckers take time good luck bud