WBS ??

Started by moorhS, February 17, 2010, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moorhS

Doing research on WBS and came across a couple different Teks at Shroomery. . .  one of the Teks says to remove all "floaters" from the WBS the other says to leave them (Millet, Sunflower, Milo, Wheat) I'm sure either way not a big deal but just curious if anybody's played around with the WBS and found which gave best results.?.?.? thanks
Oh and also read that the WBS isn't exactly the best substrate to use for nutrition but is good for spawning to bulk. . .  anybody have good results with just casing layer or should I go for the bulk :huh:

lun0s

Well I tried to knock up a jar of WBS. I referenced a tek that said to remove all floaters(pain in the ass if you don't got a mini strainer). I noticed colonization occured faster than one of my BRF cakes I had in there with it.

dub504

I haven't had any problems just casing WBS and fruiting that way. I always remove the floaters, mainly sunflower seed. Sunflower seed would be the unwanted one, finch seed usually doesn't contain it.

MT

Since I have started using grain all I have used is WBS. I have had good results with everything I have grown. I just scoop off all the floaters with my hand while I am rinsing the grain. Usually after draining and rinsing three or four times they are all gone.

k12357

works well either way cased or spawned to bulk.  i use peat moss and vermiculite for casing, roughly 50/50 i never measure.  if i have extra time i scoop off the floaters, but Ive done it many times without scooping them, with no discernible affects.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

moorhS

ya sounds all good. . .  I think I'm going to spawn to straw (probally just 12" X 12") to try it out. . .  seems easy enough, going to get some stuff together this weekend appreciate the advise

moorhS

anybody have any tips to tell if popcorn has the right saturation??? I simmered for 50min. . .  opened up a couple of kernels to check the inside, and it is moist but seems like could be wetter. . .  The WBS was pretty easy to tell when the kernels where full. . .  any advise???

fattrout

moorhs, you should be able to push your finger nail through the kernel. just by squeezing it.. this is a great link for pop corn..
http://www.shroomery.org/9035/Popcorn-Tek-w-pics
i love working with pop corn. i have tried other grains and always go back to pop corn..
my last 3 grows have been on a pop corn millet 50/50 mix. good results.. :ph34r:
fattrout

moorhS

ya fattrout I was thinking of doing a popcorn/ millet/ barly / wbs mix. .  . . I found WBS, popcorn, Bailey, and millet, in big clear bins ...
at winco like 50cents pound. . .
that's the Tek I used fattout  :mellow:

psilocybin warrior

If you can get your hands on Jackal, Werewolf, or Alaskan Timber wolf urine, Id highly advise in doing so, its basically roids for mycelium. Its free if you live in the correct geographical location.

PW

dub504

MT

I have tried that TEK myself PW. Had bad results though, boy do those animals get mad when you try to hold thier penis in a cup.

lun0s

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on February 23, 2010, 08:08:07 AM
If you can get your hands on Jackal, Werewolf, or Alaskan Timber wolf urine, Id highly advise in doing so, its basically roids for mycelium. Its free if you live in the correct geographical location.

PW
Hmmm my friend from school has a wolf-dog I wonder if that urine would do :P xD

crystalpoint

the sunflower thing is a myth, i quit takin em out a long time ago. all you have to do with wbs is add three hundred fifty ml of dry seed to a qt jar straight outta the bag and add 175ml of water, put the lid on and pc for ninety at fifteen psi. works everytime, no hassle, no rinse, no drying the seed. it really is that easy to use wbs.

dub504

Are you saying endospores are a myth then? I thought they had to be hatched in a soak and killed in the PC.

joetraff

Are you kidding me ?  ^_^
I don't really get the point about urine of animals...
My cousin has a bull-dog.
Would that work too ?  :rolleyes:

crystalpoint

the urine thing was a joke i think, im sure endospores exist but a soak isnt required to help kill them, if i can get a pic up here i have a blue oyster jar full of rizo myc and nothin else, no soak, no rinse, no problems. as long as you pc your seed for a sufficient amount of time the pressure will crack the endos. its a proven tek, it isnt my own but DrJugglz from shroomotopia so thats who the credit goes to but it works, next time you do jars do one of them the DrJugglz way and see for yourself, you may never go back to rinse and soak, i didnt.

dub504

I wouldn't mind cutting down on labor.

crystalpoint

it cuts out a lot of hassle dub, it used to take me all day to get seed ready to pc, but now all i do is measure and cook. Of course that isnt to say that all the traditional wbs methods wont work, of course they do its just a matter of how much hassle your willing to go thru to get the results. The jars will look dirty but dont let that dissuade you, just noc one up and see if its the way you wanna go.