May have a problem

Started by Benjamin Linus, February 18, 2010, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjamin Linus

Well, if you read my last post you saw me bragg'n about my fancy pants lab-quality incubator. Well I got it out today to make sure its still calibrated (dial matches actual temp) and found it isn't working anymore. I know most everybody gets by without one, but, my problem is my ambient house temp never really gets above 68 F. For reasons beyond my control, we never set the heat higher than 66 F. Even if I could set it higher, it would be miserably hot in here. 66 F is quite warm to me.

I could really use some ideas/hints/tricks to keep a box or something likewise at a nice 78 F. I just need something big enough to keep 5-6 jars at the proper temp. What do some of you do in these cold winter months to keep your jars at a nice balmy temp?

I did see a method for FC's using two chambers. Basically you semi-submerge the FC in another container of water. The water in the 2nd container is heated to ~80 F using an aquarium heater. Thus the water would keep the FC warm. I could incubate in there I guess. I didn't wanna have to go to this extent, or even sure if it works, but if I have to......

Thanks guys.

Vandal_xx

I use that setup you talked about for my incubation. It seems to be working great. My aquarium heater did cost like $30, but I got it in a pinch and didn'd do any shopping around. I bet you could get one cheaper if you looked around. I have mine in a nice dark closet. I bet a couple of black trashbags might also do the trick.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

moorhS

yea I use container in a container with submersible heater, works great. . .  probably the cheapest (safest) and easiest way that I know of bud. . .  good luck

MT

That is what I use also. Mostly in the winter months here.

substrate

not to buck the trend, but my goal was to use what i had around the house.  i set my FC on a folded electric blanket (heating pad will work too - but mine times-out).  used the FC tote for an incubator and it worked well.

i already had a hydrometer and thermometer for the FC, so dropped those in as well to monitor and control climate.  later i put plates under my jars, so the heat would not transfer so fast/hot from the bottom of the tote to the jars.

the answers above are from those far better schooled than i, but i try to keep all my hobbies on the cheap so that's what i ended up with.

MT

Sounds like that will work. There are many ways to do this and your idea will help someone else out also, I am sure.