casing my grains with??

Started by bigfatmouthj, February 22, 2010, 08:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfatmouthj

im torn on the best way to case my grain bags, the rye grain bags are almost reading to go into the FC but i am having trouble picking the best casing. cor/verm? straw/manure? plain old potting soil? any suggestions?

i am trying to acheive a decent bulk grow from the 2LB grain bag. im a little hesitent to use straw as it seems to contaminate easy from what ive read. im also a little confused as to weather i should lay down the grains then just top with casing choice? or mix grains w casing medium THEN a top layer? couldnt find a detailed tek that compares.

moorhS

well you definitely don't want to use straw/manure for your casing material, straw manure goes on bottom. . .  I use peat/verm/oyster shells/lime flour for casing material, I heard verm/cor works well to. . . probably just your preference. . . . 
- yes you do want to lay out your grains then top with casing. . . 
  good luck

k12357

casing material should be non-nutrative.  straw-poo is not a casing. if you were to mix your grain with straw-poo you would be spawing to a bulk substrate.  i use peat moss/verm 50/50 mix for casing. verm/coir or potting soil will both work. check here
http://www.shroomery.org/20/Casing-Procedures
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

bigfatmouthj

Might just try a bulk grow, i have some manure/straw already pasturized and ready to go. do you guys think a small tote w lid? also if anyone knows a good bulk tek id love to hear it. -_-

psilocybin warrior