Question about casings and flushes

Started by GGAllin, February 25, 2010, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGAllin

Pardon my inexperience and newbieness.

So when you crumble your cakes into a Fruiting container and cover with a casing, after your first fruiting harvest, what do you do to get it prepared for the first flush?  Since it is not in cake form you cant dunk it, so do you spray it down with water, cover and then put back into incubater for a day?  or do you cover and leave at room temp for a few days?

If its in cake form and you have several cakes covered in casing, you just remove the casing and dunk in water 12-24 hours then recover with casing, should that casing be new sterile casing or can you use the old casing?

Thanks

k12357

after the first flush you would patch the wholes in the casing from where you picked, then give it a great misting, and then let it be in your fc.  you cant reuse a casing the mycelium becomes part of it.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

shroomzer

K12357 has it right.  You don't take the crumbled cakes out of your casing to dunk again.   You pick your fruits, you patch the holes with casing and you mist the casing.  Let it grow another flush. You can get up to 3 to 4 yeilds on a casing.  At least that has been my experience in doing casings.

GGAllin

Good to hear, so how much do you mist and how long do you cover, do you leave it in the FC the whole time?

k12357

you dont want to drench it.  but you want a good amount of water.  try to get the point before it pools on the top of the casing.  you dont want standing water on the bottom of the casing or pools on top, thats to much.  i dont recover my casings. and yes back in the FC the whole time.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

MT

After the first flush I have been filling my pans with water and letting them soak for about twenty minutes. I then drain them and return them to the FC. This seems to work well for me.

dub504

I do that with my casings too, if they are getting really dry.