soft white stems - or contamination?

Started by substrate, March 08, 2010, 01:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

substrate

I thought the HI strain might just have very soft white stems, but now I'm wondering if this is some sort of mold or contaminate eating away at the stems.  If some of the better versed could take a look at the pic it will be much appreciated:

http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/?action=view&current=Photo_030710_002.jpg

Of the ones you see here, the tops never fully developed, just drooped over.  They also did not drop spores, though the veil had broken.

Is this a common factor of the strain?  Any insights will be appreciated.

[PS] much better pic here:  http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/?action=view&current=DSC02160.jpg

dub504

That's just mycelium. You might need to increase FAE.

Baphom3t

Yep thats just myc growing on your stems.
Myc growing on the stem is not uncommon.
See how the one mushie is curled?
That is due to lack of RH.

Increase the RH and FAE and your cakes will begin to flourish.

substrate

Thanks for the info!  That's good news that the whole batch isn't going to turn to goo.  I've been fanning and misting a couple times a day.  It's super dry here, so even closed up the FC only gets up to about 65% or 75% RH.  Using piles of Perlite, but will see what else I can do to promote both FAE and RH.  Have pulled some ms out that were 5 and 6 gms each (wet).  So getting some decent size.

This is really the fun part.  Virtually every cake is pinning and growing now.  The cakes I cased are doing almost nothing - it's tray by tray.  Some good, some not.  but all of the cakes are going nuts. 

You can see more at http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/

thanks!

dub504

The Perlite is supposed to cover the whole bottom of your FC + I'm not seeing any holes in the FC either.

substrate

I had problems with the Perlite getting trich - and it was damn near impossible to clean out to the big 31 gt container.  so I put the perlite into smaller containers sitting on the bottom of the fc and absorbing heat from below.  thus if there is contamination - i can remove the container easily.

In the winter we run about 10% RH where I live.  I was afraid that the oles would allow the FC to drop RH too quickly.  When I fan the RH will drop from 65% to 20% in a matter of minutes.

both suggestions make sense though...  On the next grow I'll see if doing it the traditional way helps.  I've been happy with the yields from the cakes thus far, but getting next to nothing from the casings.  live and learn.

jadzuke

What's RH and FAE? Fresh air exchange? Same problem. Aquarium air pump work? Stamets says watering?! Really? I tried with tap water and got green. Spawn block was spent anyways but I thought I'd try for a 4th flush.

Baphom3t

substrate ,
You have to get that RH up.
You may need to check into a ultrasonic cool mist to lay down the whoop ass.

Rh will drop during FAE.
Not to worry ............
It will be ok.
You need RH at NO LESS than 94 percent for cakes , the more the better.

substrate

all advice much appreciated, and i agree with your suggestions.  the HI strain definitely seems to be more sensitive to the RE and FAE issues.  The EQs seem to be doing pretty well, maybe a bit heartier strain.

I'm fanning and misting more, and it seems to help.  If I decide to do another grow I'll drill holes and all that.

Thanks to all.

Vandal_xx

Why wouldn't you do another grow, I just put 3 of my 10 cakes in the FC and can"t wait to keep that shit rolling.
Feel good before dying!!!!!