First Timer - BRF alternative?

Started by boyfox, March 09, 2010, 04:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boyfox

Ok, hello forum.
Like many other beginners here i go!

First of all, sorry if any question is answered, i searched but got no results.

I have spore prints of the creepers strain (storing them currently, in dark dry around 20 C).
I have a problem finding BRF so was wondering if there's an alternative.
Will a dish washer suffice for sterilization?(with warm water, only water)

Thx people

k12357

no alternatives unless you have a pressure cooker.  find plain brown rice, and grind it to a powder yourself.  (coffee grinder).  dishwasher not for sterilizing your jars.  for cleaning them ok as long as they are clean.  follow this  http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

dub504

Baphom3t

Unlike the other two have stated it is theoreticly possible to do it with ground rye berries. <--- You may have it in your local supermarket.
I would follow the same measurements as PF tek to start and adjust accordingly.
Think of it as a RF tek  :)
Hodgson Mills sells ground rye.

But of course you could use grains with a casing and double what you harvest.

boyfox

I see, thx.

I forgot to ask about how long the spore prints will last (thats why i wrote conditions and strain) ^^

Peace

substrate

Spore prints should last virtually forever - as long as they stay dry and uncontaminated. 

I put regular white rice (a Japanese strain that we eat all the time) into the "magic bullet" blender and ground it into flour.  Genetically rice is basically rice - brown or white.  Some will say that "white rice has had all the nutrients bleached out of it" - but actually it grows white, and is not bleached at all.

As long as you're not using Uncle Ben's (pre-cooked) or something out of a box with additives (like fake cheese or chicken flavor) you should be OK to just use what's in your cupboard.  you don't have to go nuts with expensive organic yadda yadda...

Some pics here of how my "WRF" cakes turned out so far:  http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/

PS:  You can steam cakes and equipment for 90 minutes for sterilization - no, the dishwasher is not adequate.  Excellent instructions here:  http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

Baphom3t

wrf as substitute for brf is teh FAIL !!!!!!!!!
As you can see in substrates pics in the first link.
Spotty fruiting at best.
Those cakes could produce more fruit if you went to brf and cased them , be sure to  ensure that they did not compact as some of yours look according to their growth.

boyfox

I kinda got happy whit what substrate had to say and baphom3t ruined it a bit.

I live in Greece we kinda got good rice here (at least it wont be bleached), BUT
i cant find brown rice here, we have so called wild rice, which is half white half dark brown rice (much darker than BR pics you got here).

So you shroomers still not sure if some white rice can do the job????
(i need to know, cause if yes i can start right away)

Peace, nice ppl here

boyfox

OK i did some research and found that brown rice is a little more nutritious than white.
And wild rice has more nutrients than all, so unless it contains something bad for fungi il use that.

dub504

There are other Whole Grains that you can use as well. You could use Popcorn, Wild Bird Seed, Millet, Rye Berries, Barley for starters.

Vandal_xx

When you guys use popcorn, is it still necessary to use a PC? Does the popcorn contain endospores? just wondering, haven't got a pc yet and would love to try a different tek. Thanks Guys
Feel good before dying!!!!!

moorhS

pesgta

Need PC?                                                            :huh:
modern furniture
Hydroponic Starter Kits

substrate

Balph is probably right - after seeing pics of other yields (MoorhS) - mine are very low volume.  Colonization and the rest of the steps have gone well, I consider it mostly a training exercise.  But the output has been pretty low.

I still have a lot to lean!

moorhS

I've only been growing for 6 months and every casing gets better and better  ^_^ the more you put into this hobby the more you get out  ^_^