Spent Spawn blocks

Started by jadzuke, March 10, 2010, 04:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadzuke

I have some spent, (some mold) spawn blocks. Rye to straw to bag. 6x8x12. Could a guy bury in the nearest forest peat or wet, quiet corner of my yard? Garbage can results=0. What do you do?

MT

In the past during warmer weather I have covered them with soil in my backyard under a cypress tree with fairly good results. During the winter I usually just toss them in my compost bin.

GGAllin

hey jad, how many flushes can you get from a straw log?  how do you flush it to fruit a second time?

jadzuke

I got 2 BIG flushes and a minimal 3 rd. I just spray and  fresh air. Blocks are a nice way to go. Have been re-sterilizing and re-using the bags too.

GGAllin

is tehre a good tek decription for it out there?  so you fruit the block, when first is done, heavy spray with water and put in regular temp for a while then back into fruiting conditions?

jadzuke

No, it's my modified method. And I left out a step.
1. Inoculate sterilized Rye grain (Stamets) with liquid or petri
2. Sterilize straw with bleach bath method (Stamets)
3. Inoculate straw with colonized Rye grain
4. Mix VERY well and stuff into spawn bags and seal with some air. Tight pack seems to work best.
5. Once colonized, unseal, turn upside down and push the brick into grow chamber.
6. Spray and FAE as usual
Not perfected but it's cheap, easy and I've had great results. Yields more and less contamination compared to trays. My experience.

dub504

With straw, to me, it seems like that second flush comes on pretty quick. Not much fuss, keep it in fruiting conditions and away you go.