One week after full colonization

Started by Vandal_xx, March 12, 2010, 07:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandal_xx

So I have 10 1 pint jars of BRF anywhere from 90% to 99+% colonization. They have been colonizing for about a month. The areas that started to colonize first are now contracted away from the walls of the jar. They look like they are shrinking and fuzzing up a bit. I was thinking that that part of the cake is ready to fruit. I have read that the mycelium takes about a week to consolidate and digest the substrate. about 3/4 of all my cakes are shrunk down and starting to get fuzzy. DO you think I could take a couple of my cakes and brush off the TINY bit of un-colonized BRF and try to fruit? I know I should wait, but my bro is gonna be in town in a couple weeks and I wanna make sure I have a little bit for the rare occasion he is in the country. Thanks guys.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

moorhS

normally when the btm of the jar is fully white it is 100%  u can take a *sterilized* knife or spoon and remove the un-colonized parts, but do you really want to risk it??? if you haven't tipped your jars upside down that helps speed up colonization , just give it a tap on the top and let that BRF cake slide down... it will be done in no time....

Vandal_xx

I had them flipped over for a little bit, with a small air gap at the bottom by gently tapping them, but after 4 days I flipped them back because the vent/inoculation holes were not able to breath, and I thought that that may slow things down. I know, I know patience is key, I may try to trim off a couple of cakes so those may start to fruit, but if they fail at least I will know to never try it again and I'll have 8 more in backup. Anyone have any success trimming off uncolonized parts of a BRF cake? Thanks
Feel good before dying!!!!!

MT

Yes, you can trimoff part of the cake but it is better to wait and lessen the risk of contamination.