PF-Tek last step fails =/

Started by olzo, March 20, 2010, 01:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olzo

Hi all,

first of all thanks for this forum and may the growth be with ya  :mellow:

I'm looking for help on my growing process which fails in the last step.

As a method I choose PF-Tek with rye flour, and a large transparent fruiting chamber. The mycelium is growing quite ok in the jars but I fear something ain't right here either since I'm not sure if the substrate is colonized 100 %. It's all white but since I haven't been able to fruit them I suspect something is wrong. I have a couple of questions and would be very grateful for your opinions:

1. First I would like to get your opions of which flour is best to use. Is rye ok for Cubensis? I read brown rice flour is also a good choice...

2. Secondly does it matter if the jars are a little larger? Its not like they are huge but in lots of vids I see smaller jars... does it matter at all? I'm using 400 ml jars.

3. What proportion of substrate mix do you think is best? I used the proportion mentioned in the PF-Tek instruction...

4. If mycelium grows in the jars, is there a point (timelimit) where I can't expect it to grow any further? Does it "die off" after while? Could that be due to a shortage of rye in the substrate?

5. The fruiting chamber is full of holes, which I closed today because I think it needs to be very humid. In vids I saw that the fruiting chamber was with lots of holes. Any comments on that? I'm using Seramis to keep the humidity high and spray the chamber twice a day.

6. Any other suggestions you guys have to get a strong mycelium out of the jars? As noted I use vermiculite, water and rye flour. It takes 2-3 weeks and it seems to stop growing after that so I suppose that must be the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you might provide :)

Greetz

olzo

Baphom3t

1. Yes rye is ok.

2. 400 ml = 1 pint jars , you can use 1 pint jars for pf tek.

3. Substrate preparation
For one ½ pint jar(~240 ml) you will need:
=> 140 ml vermiculite
=> 40 ml brown rice flour
=> some vermiculite to fill the jar to the top (app. 20 ml)
=> water   <----- This is for 240 ml or 1/2 pint jars. Adjust the amounts accordingly for 400 ml jars.

4. Alot of people wait 1 week after they see full colonization to ensure the myc has developed in the middle of the jar.
You can store fully colonized jars in the fridge for about 2 - 3 weeks.

5. I have never put holes in my FC. Some people do and some people don't.

6. You need to birth the cakes after full colonization. It stops growing because it's ready to produce fruit , after awhile it will stop growing in the jar. You can fruit in the jar but it is not the best way to get the most out of your effort.

olzo

Thanks for the comments Baphom3t...

Is it possible that the myc never comes to the stage where it is ready for fruiting? I have my first cake in the FC for 5 days now and nothing happens. The other jars are still in the incub box but I see no signs of growth. Two of the jars are not fully colonized and stopped at about 70 - 80 %.

Baphom3t

"Is it possible that the myc never comes to the stage where it is ready for fruiting?"

It is highly unlikely.
If the bottom of the jars are not colonizing , flip the jars over.

I've seen cakes take up to 1 month to produce fruit.
Stalled jars normally are caused by bad substrate prep. ie, not enough water/to much water,insufficent steam steralization,wrong mix , etc......

substrate

i'm much more of a novice myself, but on the recommendation of the forum I flipped a bunch of my jars that were not colonizing at the bottom.  about a week later much more of the brf/verm had colonized - shortly thereafter is started to see pins and even a couple of mushrooms inside the jars.  i quickly birthed/dunked everything and got them into the FC.

the hardest part is the WAITING to see pins and results.  everybody here told me "patience" - and they were right.

Helo

Hey olzo, glad to hear you're well on your way. Baphom3t answered all of your questions, I just have a small bit of input to add to substrate's answer.   :mellow:

You definently need to be more Patient. The cake you put in your FC has only been in there for 5 days. No need to worry, just be Patient and keep doing what you're supposed to be doing, and you'll be fine. Good Luck olzo, hope to hear about good results soon.   
  ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

olzo

Thx everyone, I start to see little fuzzy dots on the outside verm layer which is a good sign... keeping humidity really high and fanning daily to keep the gas exchange working.

I really hope for results since I've been practising quite some time now and the PF-Tek actually works really well. I started a new bunch of jars last weekend to "work in" the advices given on this page and on the shroomery site...

Will keep ya all posted :)

olzo

Ladies and gentleman, this sunny morning some 6 rockets have shot towards the sky!

We have lift-off  ^_^

angelus122

Ahh I'm on day 4 and it feels like forever, hopefully I'll have your luck olzo  -_-

olzo

Gonna post pics soon... Movin into another home right now  -_-

Good luck angelus! Just be patient, that was a very good suggestion of the other members here :)

yuridebura

Thanks for that, I'm reading it now to see if there's anything new...

BTW if anyone isn't sure of what I mean by a "normals image", see about 2/3 down this page:

http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/bumpmaps_from_images_pt2.htm

...or search for the word "distinctive", the image is just beside this, you will see what I mean.

MOOORRRE INFO, PLEASE!
yuri

psilocybin warrior

Screw Blender, Maya is where it's at!