Mixing different grains together

Started by GGAllin, March 22, 2010, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGAllin

anyone try or have any luck with mixing grains?  rye and wbs, rye and barley, oats or any other kind of combination?

reports?

moorhS

yea, been doing  WBS/Barley  even have popcorn/wbs/barley  although I know now to do the barley and wbs separate. . .  the barley gets moist a lot sooner...  I have around 8 that are 90%+ colonized

GGAllin

good to know.  any elite methods utilizing rye grain and a comapanion grain for maximum nutrition?

k12357

Ive never tried it but this is supposed to be great.  I just don't see the need to do so much work on my substrate mix, when regular grain works so good.

http://www.shroomery.org/9036/Alien-Substrate-Formula
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

Helo

Hey GGAllin, i've never done any Grains myself, so I can't really help you. Just wanted to let you know that Malabar and Fattrout have a few mixes that they love. I think Malabar prefers Millet and Fattrout prefers Popcorn. They both have tried a few mixes though, so wait for them to post a reply. They will have some GREAT info for you i'm sure.    :mellow:

Good Luck GGAllin, hope this helps a bit.
    ^_^
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

dub504

I wouldn't worry about "maximum nutrition", you'll get plenty from just about any grains you use.
    Wild bird seed is great "mostly millet" fast colonizer, Malabar likes 50/50 Millet/Brown Rice mix. I like just Millet sometimes. Basically millet will speed up anything you add it to. Other grains like oats and barley work too.
    All the grains soak up the water a little differently so don't just throw a few together and think the moisture content will be right, you have to get a feel for the different grains. That's why it's easier to just stick with some grains you like working with and get it down to second nature.

MT

WBS works well for me. It is fairly inexpensive and readily available here. Also, like dub said it is mostly millet which colonizes rather rapidly.

dub504

Damn you rajiv, at least give me credit if you are going to use my post for your spam.