does anyone know of a fast way to test LC for contams?

Started by substrate, March 26, 2010, 07:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

substrate

I'm trying the blender-tek again, but would like to test the LC prior to destroying all of my prepped grains.  any suggestions?

Also, has anyone heard of using H2O2 on the mushroom stem prior to or during the process of cutting it and transferring to the LC?  My thought is that it would likely kill the outside tissue on the stem, but also kill all contams.  Then shredding the stem in the blender would "free" the living uncontaminated inside of the stem.

dub504

Do you have a spore syringe? Why not just knock up your LC w/ those instead?

substrate

I don't have spores for the strain I'll be using for the blender-tek.  I'm going to try 3 different blender-clones, so hopefully at least one of them will survive without contams. 

I'll be inoculating half my grains with that strain, the other half with a for which I DO have spores.

Dub - I know you usually use grains:  How much spore solution do you use to noc a quart jar of grains?

All info appreciated.

Vandal_xx

Dub...You are saying that you can make an LC with a spore syringe? Can you put spores into a LC solution and have them germinate in the solution or must you hydrate them in a spore syringe first?
Feel good before dying!!!!!

dub504

I prob use 2cc's a quart. Yes, you can use a spore syringe to make a LC. The spores will germinate in the solution.

Vandal_xx

Sorry for sounding like a MORON Dub.. but you are saying I can put spore from a print directly into an LC solution?
Feel good before dying!!!!!

dub504

Yes, brother! Although you would def need a flow hood. You could also use a colonized grain. Really gotta be clean...

bigfatmouthj

I just scraped a print right into a jar of sterilized WBS and it seems to be colonizing darn good. didnt think it would work but it has so far. just an idea

substrate

too funny raj.

I did a couple of spore prints right on the lid of a 1/2 pint jar.  I still used an inoculation loop to "scrub" the spores with water.  Some of that went right into my grains - and is actually colonizing faster than stuff from my old spore syringes (almost a year in the veggie drawer). 

I let the spores hydrate for a few days then transferred to a honey and water blend and so far LC seems to be looking pretty good.

So far the blender-tek clone project looks good .  Two of the three blended chunks are generating myc in the popcorn, and no mold yet.  The third seems a little slower, but definitely some myc.

psilocybin warrior

I wouldn't make a LC from spores, LC is best with clones or strong mycelium that has been isolated off an agar / other medium.

Also, has anyone heard of using H2O2 on the mushroom stem prior to or during the process of cutting it and transferring to the LC?  My thought is that it would likely kill the outside tissue on the stem, but also kill all contams.  Then shredding the stem in the blender would "free" the living uncontaminated inside of the stem.

>Use h202 before your little biopsy, tho I don't see why your cutting anything, jabbing the syringe thru works best and has proven more successful.

PW

substrate

So far so good on both fronts.  All of the blender-teak clones (I did three separate batches) have colonized the popcorn, almost 100% and no contams yet.  One of the batches was too week to colonize, so I did a glovebox g2g from one jar to the other and now both are doing well.  I will end up tossing one jar that has only manage about 5% colonization, and not the corn is rotting.

The LC from print has also worked beyond my wildest dreams.  To test I noc'd 6 pf-teak jars, and they are showing more myc in a week than I normally see from spores in two weeks.  I have like 16 more oz of the LC, can't imagine what I'll do with so much.

All of this for me is about trying new teks, seeing what works, and learning as much as I can about the fungi.  Not trying to outdo anyone or set any records for harvest, just trying to learn more as I go.