BRF Mycelium Cakes: turning blue = Contams?

Started by DiegoSeesMush, March 27, 2010, 10:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiegoSeesMush

This is my first time cultivating. I birthed the jars 4 days ago.
Keep them around 90 - 100% humidity in a shotgun terrarium
with good air flow and indirect sunlight. Only issue is the temp
has consistently been at 69 - 70 degrees. Today started noticing
a little blue hue on some of my cakes. i touched it with a paper towel
to see if it would come off (meaning its mold) and nothing showed up on
the paper. is this something to worry about?

k12357

sounds like bruising.  no way to be sure without pictures. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

dub504

Did you dunk and roll. The cakes may be thirsty.

Baphom3t

If nothing came off with the paper towel then you are seeing bruising.
Your cakes are safe.
The temps you stated are not a issue.
Instead of using paper towel use a Q-tip , it works better.

DiegoSeesMush

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, nothing came off when wiped so I was hoping
it was just bruising. No I did not dunk these particular cakes so they could be
parched. I have other cakes that i did dunk and roll that are not fruiting at all
and are becoming very fuzzy on the outside. These cakes were extremely
bruised from the dunking and now have been recovered with fuzzy white...(mycelium>?)
Is white fuzz on cakes normal? and is swabbing the best way to distinguish bruising from possible contaminants? Thanks again  :ph34r: 

This is the blue spot I mentioned

and the white fuzz on cakes that were dunked

dub504

That is just bruising. What is your temp, humidity and are you fanning or getting FAE another way?

moorhS

ya looks like you still have alot of mycelium growing on those cakes.... like dub said make sure you give them plenty of fresh air.... light, and humidity...

Vandal_xx

Dude, my cakes did the same thing after birthing. Blue bruising is a reaction of the psylosiben oxidizing. I haven't started seeing a god pinset till about 14-16 days after dunk n roll. Giving it time is the hardest part of the hobby for me.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

DiegoSeesMush

I have 2 shotgun terrariums with two sets of cakes: one had been dunked and rolled...the other I simply put in my enclosure without dunking or rolling. The cakes that I dunked are the ones with lots of fuzz growing on them and no pinning what-so-ever. I will be patient and wait for something to happen with those. Funny though, my other cakes that weren't dunked are fruiting!!! success!
expect now i noticed one of my cakes leaning over...this is what i found

Can i simply flip the cake over and wait to pick that massive fruit? or should i just leave it the way it was...either way, i'm certain the look on my face was priceless when i found this nugget of gold hidden under my cake. and yes i have all my cakes on something so light is not hitting them on the bottom.

dub504

You never did tell us what your temp and humidity was. I get the feeling that's where you are having your problem.

DiegoSeesMush

oh sorry i was just trying to not be redundant. The first post on this topic describes the percentage of humidity and temp. conditions of each terrarium i have. both FCs have been kept at a minimum of 90% humidity at roughly 69-72 degrees. I keep a large floor fan running 24hrs a day to circulate air as well as fan them about 4 times a day. I keep them near a window that gives them approximately 11 hours of indirect sunlight each day. i was thinking of buying a grow light. any suggestions as to which type i should get? thanks again for all your time and consideration.  :ph34r:

dub504

My bad. You should keep the humidity up higher though. Plug some holes. I don't grow cakes anymore, I prefer grains, but I have had fruits appear on the bottom of the cake. They usually make there way out from underneath and turn out just fine. I will add this though, I think your humidity needs to be higher because of the fruit forming on the bottom. Think of that area under your cake as a nice micro climate, perhaps the they aren't getting the humidity they need on the other sides.

dub504

If you do get a light for you setup, just find a low wattage daylight spectrum energy efficient bulb. That will be plenty or some other blue spectrum bulb. Reptile lights, black lights work.

moorhS

I use a blue spectrum reptile light . . .  works great

DiegoSeesMush

Dub thanks for the response. I've plugged a couple holes in my enclosure to try and keep the humidity level higher. I know this is getting off subject now but....more on these lights. I just purchased a florescent 'natural' light bulb.  this is more along the 'blue' spectrum of bulb because it mimics natural light and puts off little heat correct? Hi moorhs! what many watts is the bulb that your using? and is 12 hrs lights on 12hrs off really the best option? would fruits grow quicker if the light was on 24hrs a day? thanks again for everyones time  :ph34r:

k12357

That light will work fine.  I use a 23W compact florescent. 12 on/off is fine. mine is only on for 10.  you can go less or more light if you need.  they only need light to know which way is up. i don't know about the 24 hour thing, i think they grow more during the dark phase but that's just from observation.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

DiegoSeesMush

that last sentence brings up an interesting question; do mushrooms develop and show more growth during daylight or night-time conditions? I wonder if there is a golden ratio when it comes this. perhaps someone has the answer? i think i might conduct some experiments! thanks for the post k12357 :ph34r:

moorhS

I have mine around 12on 12off I just flip mine off at night turn on in morning.... I have no set time doesn't seem to matter....