so im concerned. can humidity be to high?

Started by snarfsnarf, March 27, 2010, 05:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfsnarf

theres something what looks like pins but in not sure.i dont have a hygrometer and i have no way of knowing the humidity. the just look like strands coming out of the casing. they dont look like pins that ive seen on here or anywhere else. and there is dew on the mycellium. im just wondering if i shoudl turn the humidity down? or if its fine? and are those pins or are they a result of too high of a humidity.

shroomzer

Pics help..... if in casing it could be too high, then it should be 92-95%.  I do cakes and they need 99%.

snarfsnarf

my extremely nice camera was recently stolen:(. they're just thin strands of white about an eighth of an inch tall to half an inch. lots of them. if theyre pins im pumped. i lowered the humidity. its just the strands aren't all choadie and bulky like i normally see.and there is no brown dot at the end of them. they are just pure white and skinny.

Vandal_xx

I have 3 BRF cakes that I put in my FC with perlite, I misted and fanned a few times a day. I got all that fuzzy staff after a few days, but ti took me about 10 to see my first real pins and after about 15 days, my first pins are still putting along, but the rest of the cake with the pins are starting to explode with pins. Unreal!!! I was worried and wanted everytjing to hapen quicker, but it is what it is. WAIT FOR IT MAN! over two week in FC for results for me, but it looks like my first flush is gonna be sweet.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

snarfsnarf

well basically can humidity be over a hundred percent.because i figure if it has to be at 99% then i mine as well just pump up my humidifier to the full setting and that will be 99% to a hundred percent. but if thats not the way it works i guess that what my question is

moorhS

if they are cakes they need to be 99+ cakes need all the humidity you can give them... as far as the little white hairs coming out that's good, you will see pinning before to long... good luck

snarfsnarf

no they are casings. but i turned the humidity down a tad bit and i think all i well. i just remember reading that fuzzyness and lack of pinning can be the result over over humidity.and also something cool that happened.the extra verm that comes off the top had some mycellium in it so i just put it in one of the empty mason jars and its pinning! there about a 4th of an inch tall and its  only about an inch worth of it and it look like im gonna have about 13 or 14 growing from it:) its pinning b4 my casings are?haha.it wasnt even in the fc?

substrate

Run up to the local cigarette store and buy an analog hydrometer like they use in cigar humidors.  Should be about $5.