Pin / Cropping Question

Started by LivingDead1224, March 29, 2010, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingDead1224

ive had my cakes in the terrarium for 7 days. ive maintained a temp of 75-80 degrees and a constant humidity level of 95%..  The only mistake ive made was the first day when i put the cakes in I laid them directly on the Perlite.  I quickly corrected this problem the next morning and placed the cakes on jar lids...  Nothing happened as far as growth until now.. But the only growth I have is coming from the remaining perlite that is on the bottom of the cakes that i could not get off.   Can you please tell me why this is happening and will my cakes fruit in other spots besides the bottom?..   by the way before placing cakes in terriarium I did the dunk and roll technique. Oh and the growth on the bottom are mushrooms. Small and brown

DiegoSeesMush

Hi, I'm having a very similar situation with my BRF cakes! I found the largest fruit in my terrarium so far when i noticed a cake tilting more than the Tower of Piza. either way big mushroom growing at the bottom of cake. according to one of our peers on this forum, this could be created by a micro-climate near the floor of your cakes; hence causing pins to form and develop quicker at the bottom, as opposed to the roof, of the cakes. i think the remedy will be more humidity in the enclosure and possibly growing lap over the cakes directing the pins to grow up in the preferred direction.

hey on the bright side...at least we've got some fruits of all our labors!!! congrats  :ph34r:

Vandal_xx

My cakes took qbout 14 days to show any pins, so your lucky you got something at 7 days? At about 16 days my cakes exploded with pins. Humidity FAE and RH with a little light. Good luck bro.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

LivingDead1224

Thanks guys for posting replies.   I do have a growing light on them. I keep it on a 12 hour cycle. I guess my main problem is patience haha..

olzo

Geez forget about the light man! Why does everyone think they grow because of light? They don't! They are not like plants! They would grow perfectly in the pitch dark for sure! Stop wasting electricity and your money ;)

It's possible, that they need a little regular daylight because thats what "tells them" if the conditions are right to grow... I'm not sure about that but I don't even think thats the case. Anyhow regular daylight will do just as well...

k12357

They wont grow in complete darkness.  light is one of the pinning triggers, and it also tells the mycelium what direction is up.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

MT

Cubensis require light to grow. They will not grow properly in total darkness. They need light to stimulate the growth cycle and to tell the fungi which way is up. You may need to study the growth cycle for this particular type of fungi olzo.

bigfatmouthj

Actually a good CFL daygrow will improve your flush, it has mine.
they love the blue spectrum  :wub:

olzo

Hmkay growth lamps seem a little weird though... they have no cells to convert the light energy. Thanks for the insight on the growth direction, I didn't know that. Regular daylight will do though, no? Once they have been stimulated to grow in a certain direction I suppose they don't need that much light anymore or am I mistaken?

k12357

regular day light works just fine.  you are correct.  Ive heard of guys using as little as 15 minutes a day. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

LivingDead1224

ok i had a reptile light over terrarium. I see that you said to use a CFL..  So i bought a basic CFL.. Will this do the trick?   Also is it ok to mist the cakes in addition to the walls of the terrarium after fanning?  Thanks guys for all your replies

Mr. NIce GuY

Yes CFL will work i use flouresnt daylight with 6500k which is the highest daylight i think you can get. Thank god for walmart haha and try and mist the cakes not the walls, dont want any standing water to cause and bad green juju mold. FAn alot if you mist your cakes alot no more than three times a day if they need it. Also i always would wipe my walls after opening the terrarium with rubbing alcohol, but thats just my clean freak way of keepin it clean.

LivingDead1224

Thanks Mr. Nice Guy.  is it still ok to mist the cakes after mushrooms are growing on it?

olzo

I think I read its not good to spray the shrooms themselves if you're asking that.

Mr. NIce GuY

I wouldnt mist mushies just cause it can cause contam and ruin your whole opp. Only between flushes on cakes.