ive been reading up on cold shocking? any good or bad experiences?

Started by snarfsnarf, March 30, 2010, 12:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfsnarf

ive been waiting quite a while for my casing to start to pin.im thinking about putting them in the fridge for 24 hours and then hoping that they will start to pin. or maybe just try ine of them and see if its beneficial to my situation.of course i would saran wrap them due to the fact that i dont believe a place where cheese is can simply be a good and contam free space.what temp kills mushrooms?

dub504

There are a lot of past posts on this forum on the subject of just how dirty a refrigerator is and cold shocking really isn't necessary with cubes. When I used to grow cakes I would submerge them in a clean tupperware container with distilled or spring water, put the lid on and refrigerate for about 24 hrs. Then I would roll the cakes in verm and introduce to the FC. You would do this before you introduce to the FC and between flushes. I think the myc can handle temps down to freezing before death.

snarfsnarf

well i just double wrapped it in saran wrap.but you seem quite experienced and while your online im just wondering what type of tek is best for weight? like im doing half pint casing right now but i dont want to spend a month on something(as beautiful and fulfilling as those little buggers are) and only get 5 grams dry. im a social ingester and like to share the fruits of my labor with buddies. ive been looking into 3lb mycobags and im just a ittle confused and what is considered best?

k12357

If you want weight then research monotubs.  start doing grain (any grain)  and then spawn to a bulk substrate in a monotub.  bulk substrate will consist of straw, horse poo, cow poo, worm castings, coco-coir any combination of those.  there are other ingredients as well.   i like a roughly 70% straw 30% worm castings mix. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

snarfsnarf

k12357

a bulk substrate is a larger medium with more nutrients to grow on.  ie the mixture of poo and straw.  you pasteurize the straw and poo and get the moisture content up, and then add a few colonized jars of grain.  then you wait for the whole thing to colonize and then fruit.  adds an extra step in the process plus more time, but worth it.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

snarfsnarf

so i just go and buy some manure, then get some straw, boil it? in a pillow case? leave it for several days? doesnt seem to be sterile. wait for it to drain to proper consistencey. i have three brf cakes of ban hua thanon about to be fully colonized. put the straw / poo into the tub with the trashbag and holes, break the cakes up and mix well? and wait for it to colonize again. then let the light shine in.ohhh let the sun shine in. and voila la i have a good amount of mushrooms?

k12357

in a nut shell yes.  there are some really good teks for monotubs on http://www.shroomery.org/  you may have to join to see all of them, some are in users journals or just posted on message boards.  best advice is to read a bunch of them, pick one that suits you and follow it to the T for the first time.  also its not sterile, you don't want to sterilize the straw/poo only pasteurize it.  175 degrees F for 2 hours.

snarfsnarf

hmm.. well i do appreciate the help. ive read about 20 by now and none of them seem to explain where the trashbag goes in relation to the holes.in most cases it looks like the holes are below the edge of the bag? how would this help air filtration if all it is doing is moving the air that is under the bag that has the sub. on the top of it? should it be on top  so the air in the main fc gets moved?

k12357

the bottom holes are right above the trash bag.  at the top edge of the substrate.  all of the holes are above the trash bag.  the carbon dioxide that is produced from growth goes out the bottom holes while fresh air comes in the top holes.   

snarfsnarf

i really really really want to grow penis envy. just i hear they way massive amounts and stay pretty bulky and the trip is just crazy. and i personally think that the all around shape is hilarious. so if i buy a 10cc syringe and buy two of those mycobags and inoculate each of them with 3 to 4 cc's. let them colonize up and then make two monotubs out of them would that be legit? like i just want around..well i dont want to get to specific..but around a QP would be wonderful in my book. do you think i would achieve this goal?

dub504

Here is a really simple monotub Tek. Three cakes won't be enough spawn. Pasteurized straw doesn't contaminate really easily. http://forums.mycotopia.net/holding-tank/49902-sandmans-no-filter-monotub-tek.html I've never used mycobags. Just make sure you understand the dif between pasteurizing and sterilizing, and straw and hay.