Gathered some supplies for first grow.

Started by L8-NiTe, March 31, 2010, 07:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L8-NiTe

Ok this will be my first time trying to do this.I have been reading alot and watching all the videos my eyes and brain could handle.I am going to post what i have collected so far supplies wise and if anyone could comment and let me know if i have what i need or if i am missing anything.

4lbs Brown rice(couldnt find it in flour form so i have to do that part)
2 64qt clear tubs with lids
verm
perlite
12 1/2 pint jars with lids
digital temp/hygrometer
Alchohol to sterilize
B+ and Mexi-cub syringes

I plan to use the dunk and roll method.
I also found a DIY ultrasonic mister that i am going to build x 2 i am just waiting on the ultrasonic mister things.

Am i on the right track and is there anything i am missing?Thank you for your time it is much appreciated.

moorhS

sounds like your on the right track... I had gotten a ultra sonic humidifier and I ended up not using it, although alot of people do use em especially for larger grows... maybe in the future I'll make a greenhouse or something... anyways good luck don't forget post pics when there done... I also found using Lava Rock or (hydroten) is a lot less messier than the perlite but that's something to think about in future  -_-

moorhS

couple other things that help out that I use is
Lysol
Face mask for when I innoculate or G2G ...
the cheap throw away gloves
propane tourch (something with hot flame)

Vandal_xx

Yeah... What Moorhs said and anoter hobby to keep youself occupies. That was the worst for me. Also I used a fishtank heater to keep my incuation tempup. GOOD LUCK!
Feel good before dying!!!!!

L8-NiTe

Ok i got my first 12 jars inoculated tonight.I have a question though.Why they are colonizing should i have something covering the holes on the lids that i used to inoculate through?

substrate

The inoculation holes should not be covered while incubating.  You might want to keep your jars in your FC though, just to keep better control over what crud (in the air) is blowing around and landing on your jars.

You can also monitor and maintain temps better in the FC.

Just my own opinion.  A lot of people just put the jars on a shelf and forget about them.

L8-NiTe

Ok thank you very much.I was waiting on an answer and i had foil over them because i wasnt sure yet.I will take it off.Do you think that might of been a bad thing?They were like this for almost 3 days now.

substrate

mycology is a SLOW hobby...  3 days is just a blink of the eye.

MT

I use micropore tape over my inoculation holes, works great.

L8-NiTe

It has been almost 2 weeks (Saturday) that i started my brf jars.I did 6 of them with b+ and 6 with Mexi.So far only 3 of the b+ are showing myc growth.The ones that are growing seem to be doing pretty well with about 25% colonization.None of the Mexi jars seem to be doing anything i havent noticed the slightest of myc growth anywhere.The same thing is happening with the other 3 b+ jars i see no myc growth.Is this normal or are my other jars bad?I have been keeping them at about 80f in a dark tupperware container.

k12357

they could be bad, just have to wait and see.  IF there is no growth after the end of the 3rd week you should think about doing them over.  I would just let them sit for now. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

L8-NiTe

So 6 of my jars seem to be doing ok out of the 12.4 b+ and 2 of the mexis.% of the bad ones showed no sign of myc or no signs of trich but 1 of them did have a small spot of trich showing on the upper edge where the dry verm is at.Got rid of all 6 jars to be safe.One thing i am noticing is a slightly lighter in color maybe even a tan on 2 of the jars right in the middle of the myc growth.Seems to be a weird smell when i open the container there all held in.I looked around on the net and it seems to be wet spot or sour rot?Are these jars bad as well or is there something i should do to them to help out?I can get pictures if they would help out and to show the progress of the 6 jars i have left as of now.Just let me know and ill get em uploaded.Thanks in advance for any help and info i really appreciate it.

dub504

sour rot is usually from the sub being too wet. If you do have it you gotta toss them or outdoor. GL

L8-NiTe

When i toss the 2 jars with sour rot outside is there a special place or certain type of area that would be best for them?I guess ill just work with the 4 good ones i have left in the FC but if i can get anything at all from the 2 with sour rot being outside that would be a plus.Thanks!

Vandal_xx

Not sure, I have 4 cakes that developed sour rot so I burried them under a couple inches of top soil in a shaded area. Nothing yet.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

L8-NiTe

Hey i am going to be ordering some new strains and before i did i was wondering if anyone on the forum has any clean prints they would wanna sell before i start browsing around.Im not very happy with the results from the supplier i used for this batch and i would love to deal the home hobbyist rather than a business.Does anyone know someone you can refer me to on the forum?Thanks in advance!

tritone

I'm ready also! I got print 10 years ago but thought to difficult and got tied up gardening for the last 20 years and still having fun doing that!
This PF method sounds reasonable and if I can make it work it will be a dream come true for me!  :wacko: good luck I hope you succeed..cheers