Are these mushrooms safe to eat??? pictures included

Started by DiegoSeesMush, April 03, 2010, 01:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiegoSeesMush

Hi everyone,
I picked these lovelies about 2 days ago. I sat them in front of a fan for approximately
24 hrs. than I put them in a plastic DampRid container intended for taking the moisture out
of the air. The container has two parts: the bigger piece which collects the moister and the smaller
piece which fits inside and holds the DampRid (which pulls moister and deposits it below into the piece.)

So I simply reversed it...I put the DampRid at the bottom and the fruits in the smaller container supposing that the DampRid below would pull moister from above. Since there is a lid to the container I figured it'd be tight enough to only dry out the fruits. This is what they look like after one day

Now i've never eaten mushrooms that had all those crazy blues and yellows...are they safe to eat???

thanks again!  :ph34r:

k12357

they look good.  still look a little moist. are you sure they are dry?  if your just going to eat them it doesn't matter if they are dry but if your going to store them they need to be cracker dry.  blue is bruising, they yellow is just from them drying out.  munch them on down, before someone else does.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

substrate

yeah, some people don't believe they are "magic" if they don't have some blue on them.  did you let the veils break before picking?  the tops look really "round".

olzo

What do you mean by safe to eat? Assuming you know what sort of shroom you got you should be able to tell if they're safe to eat. As for dry vs. non-dried it doesn't matter. Some even prefer to eat them fresh...

DiegoSeesMush

No I did not let the veils break before picking them. Can't remember where but I recently
read that the best time for harvesting mushrooms for highest potency is just before the veil
breaks. Is this entirely wrong? When should I be picking them for optimum potency?

Thanks everyone for your responses and time!  :wub:

k12357

they quit producing psilocibin after the veil breaks, but they will continue to grow larger.  so they contain the same amount per mushroom regardless.  I personally don't see a difference in how i trip from unopened vs opened.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

moorhS

i agree with k12357, I always pick right before spores drop, I used to pick b4 veils break but I didn't notice a difference in the potency level....all your doing is loosing weight  :angry:

Vandal_xx

I tried some of my first batch fresh and they went down much better. I actually enjoyed the flavor. When they are dry it seems as though they don't taste good and get all stuck in my teeth. EAT AWAY!!!
Feel good before dying!!!!!