What tek tweaks have worked for you?

Started by substrate, April 29, 2010, 04:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

substrate

Seems like things have been really quiet on the forum lately, I guess the weather got nice and everyone is out enjoying the sunshine.  I thought I would throw this out and see what ideas are out there. 

For instance, on my most recent batch I inoculated with LC from a spore print.  Instead of using pure water, I diced and boiled some potatoes and used the potato water with the rice flour and verm mix.  It only took SEVENTEEN DAYS for complete colonization - way faster than any other batch of pf cakes I've done.

I boiled some water and added honey and let it cool with the lid on.  Then when I birthed my cakes I dunked them for about 20 hours in the honey water.  Just for kicks I rolled half of he cakes in verm and half of the cakes in sterilized steer manure compost.

Now, three days later, I already have PINS on the (lovingly dubbed) poo cakes.  The verm cakes look good, but are running way behind those with the poo.

These tweaks combined have gotten me to pinning in less than half the time of my previous batches.

What tek tweaks are working for you?

dub504

Interesting, would be cool to see a pic...

substrate

this is a cake rolled in poo, 3 days in the FC:
http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/?action=view&current=taylorscamera011.jpg

this is a cake from the same batch, all the same techs, but rolled in verm, 3 days in the FC:
http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/?action=view&current=taylorscamera009.jpg

The verm-rolled cake is STILL better colonized and moving faster than any pf batches I've ever done, but the poo-rolled cake looks like a friggin snowball on crack. 

The three poo cakes - you can hardly see them against the white perlite base:  http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/?action=view&current=taylorscamera016.jpg

The three verm cakes - on the opposite side of the FC:  http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/alt0182/lolie%20gaggin/?action=view&current=taylorscamera017.jpg

Feel free to look around the whole photo bucket, there are several other pics just uploaded today.  [sorry, tried to put the pics in the post, but couldn't figure it out]

ImAFungi

I have a couple of cakes that should be hitting the FC any day now. I think I'm going to try that poo tek man. They do look like a god damn snowball. :ph34r: Very Nice Substrate!

-ImAFungi
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

Vandal_xx

Yea man, nice job. Looking foward to getting your letter.!!
Feel good before dying!!!!!

substrate

vandal, Got that envelope today -thanks man, I'm looking forward to giving these a shot.

To sterilize the poo, since it was steer manure compost mix (with bits of wood and lots of other stuff in it) I put it in a half gallon jar, put plastic wrap over the top and nuked it for SIX minutes.  So far, so good.

Nice pins forming on verm and poo cakes already.  Pins on the cubesagna, and finally some pins on the big "laundry basket" (woo! Hoo!).  I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

bigfatmouthj

I did a few poo/verm/fb jars and they are looking pretty nice! they were hit up with a pan strain and im hoping for the best.  :wub:

chains

Hey dude great suggestions there! Im deffo gonna try and make a few cakes with potato water next time! Ive also heard form somewhere using black coffee instead of just water gets good results but ive never heard of anyone trying this...
we're all gonna die... So lets get high!!

dub504

Stick to a proven tek and you can't go wrong.  :ph34r:

substrate

I don't know why the poo cakes are working, but they are producing beyond my wildest dreams.  More, bigger, and faster than the verm cakes that came out of the same LC inoculation process.

The verm cakes are doing OK, just a little better than my other batches which didn't colonize nearly as well or as quickly.  The poo cakes look like porcupines.  I'm looking at one right now with 40 to 50 pins, and mushrooms that should be ready to pick tomorrow or so.

I'm keeping track, and so far have double the weight from the poo cakes as the verm cakes.  I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, and will let you know what the end tally is.

Outproducing everything though is the laundry basket.  Fat-stemmed odd shaped fruit, tops look like butts with a weird "crack" on one side.  Growing right out of the straw with no casing or anything.

tritone

I don't know I've never done this or much yet but you can call this one a wannabe tweek....

I want to blend some quality horse dump to powder then nuke and use as substrate with verm, BRF,H2o

1 part verm
1 part horse dump
1 part BRF
1 part h2o

then when you dunk and roll use casing of choice like peat moss, verm, lime mix or other...basically similar to casing technique

well so much for PF for simple minds ^_^

Cheers Substrate!

dub504

Your gonna have to sterilize that mix brother.  :ph34r:

substrate

End tally:

3 Eq LC cakes w/verm:  19 fruits @ 18g  
   3 Eq LC cakes w/poo:     66 fruits @ 95g

The three original poo cakes kept growing at a much higher rate, even after the second dunking - when all six cakes were rolled in poo.  No idea why, just that they got such a good headstart after the first roll.

tritone

Quote from: substrate on June 06, 2010, 09:47:15 PM
End tally:

3 Eq LC cakes w/verm:  19 fruits @ 18g 
   3 Eq LC cakes w/poo:     66 fruits @ 95g

The three original poo cakes kept growing at a much higher rate, even after the second dunking - when all six cakes were rolled in poo.  No idea why, just that they got such a good headstart after the first roll.

Awesome! thanks for sharing results keep on jamming! I wish I get same results!   

Cheers substrate!

dub504

I've really been liking Micropore tape instead of Polyfill in air exchange holes for grains.

chains

What the fuck rajiv123? Is there an echo in here or summin??
we're all gonna die... So lets get high!!

dub504

rajiv123, it an unofficial board rule. You must cite your quotes from now on.  :rolleyes:

substrate

Microspore tape has to be a lot easier to work with than the poly fill.  Unfortunately I'll have to use up this big-ass roll of poly fill before I can justify buying the tape.  Maybe I should take up quilting or something...

dub504

saddie

Hello substrate and other members here. I have been reading this board for a while but have now joined today just to post here and say that I am trying substrate's poo tek. This is my second attempt at the PF Tek (during the first attempt I wasn't clean enough). So far everything is going smoothly with this attempt.

I have just birthed 5 cakes, dunked them in honey water over night, and have rolled two in sterilized steer manure and three in dry verm. All now sit in my FC. Will post pics when there is something to see I guess. I just really hope that that manure is not full of disease.

Also I have been thinking that the reason that substrate's poo cakes looked like 'snowballs on crack' is because the myc just grew over the poo. So basically it's just adding nutrients and taking away a casing layer. What do you all think?

And now I also have two questions, although this might not be the right thread, but here goes:

1- is it really bad if I don't dunk between flushes? Does it make that big a difference?
2- is it really bad if my FC is humid but is kind of cold? It is at room temp - about 18-20 deg C.

Thanks for reading