Mythbusting Thread

Started by crystalpoint, May 05, 2010, 09:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crystalpoint

ill start this off with a couple myths that are taken as fact by alot of cultivators, anyone feel free to add to the thread any you may have encountered.

poo is hard to work with, smells bad - dried poo smells like dirt, in fact when its pasteurized in an oven it takes on an earthy sweet smell. cow or horse patties found dry in the field need no special leaching or rinsing to use, just shred it and go.

sunflower seeds must be removed first, and wbs must be rinsed and soaked - not true, you can use wbs without any preparation by just adding a measured amount to a mason jar and then adding half the volume of water, then pc'ing  for ninety mins at fifteen psi. you dont even have to remove the dirt and grits.

sterilizing poo renders it useless - false, while some species require the microbes present in pasteurized poo, cubensis do not. pc'ing poo will work great for p. cubensis and reduces the chances of contamination.

incubators are a must - not true, cubes will colonize at room temp, and most strains will also fruit at room temp, seventy two to seventy five.

a casing layer is required to get a good pinset - false, a casing doesnt guarantee a good pinset, nor is it necessary for fruiting cubes in a bulk grow. some species however do need or benefit from a nutritious casing layer but cubes arent one of them.

miracle gro perlite wont work - it works just fine, perlite is one of the best ways to create and maintain the proper humidity in an FC. perlite has tons of little nooks and crannies that slowly release moisture into the air. however you should wash MG perlite well as algae will thrive on the fertilizer its treated with.

bulk growing is difficult and shouldnt be the starting point for a newbie - false, bulk is just as easy as pf tek when you break it down to its simple elements. you nocc up birdseed or rye or whatever, wait for it to colonize, add the spawn to sterilized poo, coir, straw, what have you and let that colonize. then you introduce to fruiting conditions. in a month you can have a bulk grow done from spore to harvest.

layering spawn and substrate is the best way to spawn bulk - false, while layering obviously works it is by no means the best way to go. Evenly and thoroughly mixing your spawn with your sub will cut colonization time in half, ive had subs fully colonized in three days using this method, sometimes two. this also keeps contams from getting a foot hold early on.

you shouldnt mist after pins form or they will abort - not true, while direct misting of the sub is not recommended mushrooms love the mist even after pinning has initiated, just mist around and in the air above the sub.

thats all i can think of now, please add any you have found in your travels with the humble fungus. hope this helps answer some folks q's and dispel some of the myths that are taken as fact.

Mr. NIce GuY

I met up with an old friend and he was saying something about adding deamster grass as part of your substrate straw/poo, and it will add another psycho active ingredint to your mush. Is this true i have no clue.. Anybody out there try this?

bigfatmouthj

CPS excellent post! good info is hard to find it seems. alot of
mis-information out there as well.  -_-

Vandal_xx

Nice man. My FC temp goes from about 60 - 80F and I am having no problems getting i nice pinset of about 20-30 pins on every 1pint cake, with about a strong 20 growing to full mushies on 1st and 2nd flush. Also, my incubation temps are about the same as my FC. I was using a double boiler setup with an aquarium heater, but I realized that I didn't really need it and would rather save electricity than have my jars ready a couple of days faster.
Feel good before dying!!!!!

crystalpoint

ive always heard it was best to dry in the low hundreds, like one o five or so, but then ive also heard no heat is best. temp will definitely destroy actives but i think its in the 200's before it starts to degrade it, id be interested to know this one myself, maybe someone will find out and post it here.

dub504

crystalpoint

one time i got a killer yield off some OR Final Cut, i had enough fresh to dry out to a good eight ounces easy, i got in a hurry to dry them and put them in the oven at one eighty, which i had done before but i left the door open so the temp inside only got to around a hundred at most and worked fine, but this time i forgot to crack the door and walked away, got distracted then went to check on em, i opened the door and was horrified, my poor little mushies had all turned to a black goo! i had a good five O's worth in there, all i was left with was a gooey mess and three zips of good ones! i only did that once tho, i guess you can imagine why. I almost heard them screaming, it was a fuckin holocaust, so sad. dont ever try to dry em that way!

substrate

Wow, some really great stuff in this post, I hope it ends up as a permanent helpful hints post some day.

I would also add that making liquid culture is not some super secret tek that only the ancients know about.  You pour boiling water into a jar (about a pint) and add a tablespoon of honey, put the lid on.  When the liquid cools (preferably in a glove box, but you can take your chances), either scrub a couple of spore prints or squirt directly from a spore syringe into the liquid.

In a week to 10 days you'll have enough LC to inoculate a b'zillion pf jars, or maybe half a b'zillion jars of grain.  You'll have more active culture than you know what to do with.  Later, you can keep it in the fridge so it doesn't grow too fast and eat up all the honey.

LC will have your initial substrates colonizing way faster than spores alone. 

chains

Nice one substrate im gonna get on the case and knock up a jar of liquid culture today then! Sounds a great way to extend my mushroom empire  :ph34r:
we're all gonna die... So lets get high!!

tritone

I got one.. I used to think cube was only found in Cuba! Ignorance is not bliss in this case  ^_^

chains

hahaha good one tritone!
we're all gonna die... So lets get high!!