strain isolation?

Started by F.W.Despot, May 10, 2010, 04:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F.W.Despot

when isolating a strain is done only by creating LC or taking the myc. and replicating it or can i just wait for fruiting and harvest spores from the biggest fastest growing caps?

dub504

Strain isolation is usually done through agar work, cloning a particular fruit and selecting rizomorphic mycelium which you could grow out in an LC or by inoculating sterile grains. Any spores from a chosen fruit will have different genetic traits at play and that is where the mycologist would continue to refine the strain toward further stability.

substrate

Dub is right on for real lab-type isolation.  You can blender-tek your freakiest fruit into an LC, but you'll likely get poor spore production from the clones.  The spores will also be working against the isolate, trying to bring the variety back to the strain.

Nature wins out over nurture most of the time.  Otherwise I'd blend my Ecuadore and Garden Giant myc and grow the worlds biggest magic fruit...  Imagine 5 pound Eqs growing in your back yard!

F.W.Despot

so just out of curiosity dose this tek (http://www.shroomery.org/67/Poor-Mans-Mycelium-Syringe-Tek) basically render the same results as the blender tek?

substrate

I've never tried this particular tek myself, but vie heard you can do the same thing just buy adding pure water, shaking the jar, then pulling the excess water out with a syringe.  The water will have bits of myc in it, which you can use for another set of jars. 

dub504

That is called a "slurry".