rh control?

Started by F.W.Despot, May 30, 2010, 09:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F.W.Despot

okay so i have around twenty pins on my first cake ......... 64 quart tub , 40 watt air pump going to two air stones and about 3-4 inches of perlite( just enough to cover the air stone.............. my hygrometer is reading 99% right now and i reading that that is good for pinning but one pinning is intiated i need to drop it to 90-95%. anyways my question is how can i lower the rh level ive tried leaving the lid cracked to c if maybe an extra hole or few would work out but got no difference, i have tested the calibration of my meter with salt in a shot glass deal and its seems to work so where do i go from here?

dub504

The higher the humidity the better with cakes. You should be fine. You could put a valve on your air stones to control flow, otherwise the number of holes and cracking of the lid is the right path.

F.W.Despot

you say its not an issue with cakes, so dose this mean it can be an issue when casing? cause i will be moving to casing once these cakes have run there course

k12357

I wouldn't say its an issue with cakes. its just they perform better when you drop the humidity after pinning begins.  they will still fruit if you dont.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

dub504

Cakes and casings just hold moisture/humidity differently. Casings just create more of their own microclimate. They will still fruit in suboptimal conditions, there is a big window here...