pasteurization f**k up

Started by F.W.Despot, June 04, 2010, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F.W.Despot

so i was pasteurizing some poo/straw and got focused on something else, but i let the temp get up past 180 for a bit to long i think and went more into sterilization. i know with poo/straw its better to pasteurize rather the sterilize but is this mix still usable? the tek that i was specifically reading said not to let it get that high, so should i scrap and start over or can it be salvaged with just a lesser result?

dub504

I'd start over, would suck to waste perfectly good spawn.

F.W.Despot

thats what i was afraid of........ in any case how long will a fully colonized jar be able to sit for b4 going bad? caus ei have some that i  need to something with but i dont know when ill get a chance to mix up some more cub.

F.W.Despot

one more thing i have some coco coir and verm on hand but the coir is a very coarse chop would it work or should i not even bother?

dub504

I have heard that some coir has trich in it. I have never had an issue, but I don't use coir a lot. I have really only used it in casings and have a brick laying around. Hpoo and verm 60/40 is great spawn IMO. You don't even need to case it. The jars should be alright for a few. The temps could be lowered to slow down the metabolism.

F.W.Despot

well ......... i knew i had seen something on this subject b4 it was on crystalpoints myth busting thread, and these jars couldnt wait so i went 4 itanyways only thing is i dont grow where i live so it was really sketchy, had very limited equipment and i have plenty more jars in the incubator so we will c what happens ill keep u posted

F.W.Despot

so heres what i did......... i went and bout a some what beep pie pan about 4-5 inches deep took 3 1/2 pint jars (1 thai ksss and 2 treasure coast) crumbled em up layed one jars contents  on the bottom covered with jacked up poo/straw/lime sub then layed the other two down and covered with more sub.covered with foil poked holes and put in a dark corner of my closet, anyways i pulled it out today and its looking fine could c some myc. growth going on below the top layers . i was pretty surprised didnt expect anything at all let alone no contams so far seeing as how i just sorrta took what i had here and made due , but pretty exciting cant wait to c what happens next

crystalpoint

did you mix mycelium? two strains in one pan? if so you should expect a less than stellar result, most of the time when you mix two strains they each fight for food and usually only put out midget fruits of each strain. maybe it will work for you i hope it does, nothing is in stone in this hobby, the fungus will do what it will! keep us posted id like to see some pics when it fruits!

dub504

I'd like to see the results too.

F.W.Despot

well im headen to the store to get some materials to make a quick FC today cause theyre as ready as theyre gonna get

F.W.Despot

got cob web mold and ditched it today....... noticed it was mainly on the straw so i dont think im gonna mess with straw any more ......... im bummed

dub504

Just make sure your pasteurization is good and that the sub is getting some FAE. Seems like things contam when the air is bad.

dub504

Here is something in the works 48 hrs after spawning. WBS/br. rice 2 Hpoo/straw/verm.
It's not so hard, you also have to make sure you drain it well and squeeze to field cap.

F.W.Despot

dub,
    if u dont mind me asking what is your process for prepping and pasteurizing sub with straw........... i have read quite a bit about it but would just like to get another idea , and im not using a PC just a large pot and my oven went out when the electric company installed our  so called "smart meeter" the other day 

dub504

Here's what I do...
    I crumble dry horse nuggets and cut straw into small pieces then scoop with a quart sized measuring cup into an old pillow case using the ratio I want. This mix was 50/20/30 h. poo/straw/verm roughly.
    Then I hold the open end of the pillow case closed and shake it side to side, mixing the dry ingredients. Tie the pillow case with a string not leaving airspace and making a loop with the string so I can hang it to drain later.
    Using my PC (it's my biggest pot) I toss in a spoonful of hi-yield hydrated lime then fill with water (mixes in better that way). I use spring but I think any would do. Then place the pillow case/bulk sub in to soak overnight or a few hours and a heavy brick to weigh it down.
    Change out the water and add another spoonful of lime. Heat it up to 180 F (gas stove) and place the sub in the pot. The temp should drop pretty quick, maintain around 160 F for at least an hour.
    I had a lot of sub with this batch and wanted to make sure it was heated properly all the way through so I kept it close to 160 F for three hours, turned off the heat and let it slowly cool for another hour. Then I hung it up over a utility sink overnight to drain. At some point I mixed it around the pillow case while closed to help redistribute the hotter parts for cooling purposes.

F.W.Despot

Dub,
     uno mas question...... i uderstand u have a gas stove but if u could guess in terms of low, low medium, low high etc. about where do u keep ur heat in order to maintain a temp. of 160 or so ? just trying to make sure so i dont go over again 

dub504

Low Medium, gotta keep an eye on it though.  :ph34r: