UK Shroomers Please Read

Started by Dirk, January 06, 2005, 04:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk

As you may or may not be aware, proposed changes to the Misuse of Drugs Act in the UK may soon make fresh Magic Mushrooms a Class A drug. The penalties for possession will be up to 7 years imprisonment plus an unlimited fine, and for supply it?s up to life imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

The Magic Mushroom Consumers Group (MMCG) is dedicated to stopping the proposed change, in order to keep fresh magic mushrooms legal.

THE MMCG BELIEVES THAT IT IS POSSIBLE FOR TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! At the moment we are currently lobbying UK government and we have already uncovered serious flaws in the way that the government?s policy has been decided upon.
The proposed changes still have to go through several stages before they become law.

?WHY SHOULD I DO ANYTHING?? I hear you ask.
The short answer is because you can. Otherwise what will you think of yourself when the first family is broken up because someone is jailed for doing something that harms nobody. It might even be you and your family!  Don?t take it lying down.

?HOW CAN I DO SOMETHING?? ? Now, that?s more like it.
To make a difference we need to do more than just sign an on-line petition or rant about the insanity of it to each other.
There are many things that will make a difference at this stage.
Writing to your Member of Parliament
Writing to a newspaper
Get involved in spreading the word
Become part of MMCG (even anonymously) we appreciate all the help you can offer.

Visit our site to learn more about the situation and for helpful information and links that will allow you to do your bit -  
http://www.magicmushroomconsumers.org/

Or log in, introduce yourself and join the debate at -  
http://www.magicmushroomforum.co.uk/

Thanks

DrHemp

This is the UK government's reasoning for their proposed magic mushroom ban

http://members.aol.com/paladcampaign/drugsbillria.htm

Read it and you will see it is full of lies

some observations
The govt. says they estimate 1000 kilos are imported into the UK at the moment
the real figure is about 35,000 kilos a year
The govt says they estimate they will lose ?175,000 in VAT; the true figure is more likley to be around ?1,000,000
They say the trade is worth about ?1,000,000 a year; we estimate it to be around 10.5 million
They say it will not lead to any job losses, but have done no studies, the reality is that a trade worth over 10 million pounds a year is bound to create employment and many jobs will be lost
They say they are doing this on health grounds, yet the UK govt. has done no research on this, wheras the Dutch, Swiss and Germans have done research on this, which say they are very low risk to health and society. Swiss academic reports say they do not cause mental health problems and other toxicology reports show them to be non-toxic. The most dangerous thing is picking a poisonous one in the wild, so a ban is in direct conflict to health needs.
They say there is no social benefit, but this is coming from people who have never taken a MM. I think the availability of a safe, non-toxic, alternative to either legal alcohol or other illegal recreational drugs has many social benefits.
They say psilocybin and psilocin are class A drugs, but this is because they are easily chemically synthesised and a kilo of psilocybin could get around 200,000 people high, whereas a kilo of MM would get around 60 people high. MM are not internationally banned and UN treaty says "Plants as such are not, -it is submitted - are also not likely to be, listed in Schedule I, but only some products obtained from plants."

So there we have it. The UK government is telling outright lies to its own backbenchers and others in order to try to ban MM. Should we be surprised when Gordon Brown said last week he could no longer believe a word that comes out of Tony Blair's mouth.

The proposed ban is against EU free trade laws, and I'm happy to inform you the Dutch growers have already launched legal proceedings in Europe, to ensure the UK govt. does not stop them from exporting their legal and safe food product to the UK.

Dirk

Yup, the PALAD site contains all the resources you will need to understand just where this piece of proposed legislation is flawed.

However, I'ts by no means a certainty that the growers will be able to "win thier case", far from it, I believe the laws of a member state can be upheld even when they are in opposition to EU laws in certain cases such as this one. The take home message being -
WE STILL NEED  TO APPLY EVERY POSSIBLE PRESSURE                                       TO STOP THIS PART OF BILL-17 BECOMING LAW

The proposed ban is against EU free trade laws, and I'm happy to inform you the Dutch growers have already launched legal proceedings in Europe, to ensure the UK govt. does not stop them from exporting their legal and safe food product to the UK.

p.s. Is that THE Dr Hemp of Totness fame?

stinkbuttdog

This is complete insanity... life for some mushrooms? Are they not part of historic culture all over the world? Man, I thought American law was all goofed up!