Cake not pinning.

Started by saddie, July 18, 2010, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saddie

Hi folks! Saddie again here. So I have followed the PF tek to the letter, things are going well, I have lost one cake to contam and buried outside. Two cakes are fruiting fine. Two cakes have not pinned at all.

- all cakes receive indirect sunlight through the top of their individual FCs
-all cakes get fanned and FAE at least twice a day
- all cakes have been dunked once for 24 hrs in the fridge - still no pinning with the cold shock on two of them. the strain is GT

Any idea how to encourage pinning on these two that are stubborn? Both show full colonization, no contams (yet) and one is growing heavy bright white fuzz myc - just no pins!

I am ready to break them up into some mix outside, or should I crumble them into a big casing box or something? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vandal_xx

You never mentioned how long they have been in FC. I have had cakes take 17 days to show pins and then they went crazy. From experience I have realized that once the cakes reach 100% I leave them for about 7 to 10 days before birthing them. The extra time in the jars in the dark gives the mycelium time to digest the substrate and from my experience they will pin within 5 days or so. Good luck, I would just wait those ones out. They will pin. IMO
Feel good before dying!!!!!

dub504

You might want to increase FAE. That's one of the big pinning triggers. The myc getting fluffy like that probably means it is still vegetating in a high CO2 environment. I don't know if you still have them in the cups or not, but I would think CO2 could build up pretty easily. Patience helps too, but I have to practice what I preach there.  ^_^

lostcause1138

i agree with vandal and dub. increase the FAE and give the cakes more time. some pin immediately, some take awhile

saddie

Well as it turns out, dub you were right (no surprise :) I just needed more patience. The cake eventually pinned and fruited after sitting in its FC for about 10 days, then being dunked for 24hrs. Weird. It got exactly the same treatment as the other cakes and just didn't fruit forever! But now it is, so to all the other young grasshoppers out there - patience!